Vietnam Veterans of America
The VVA Veteran® Online
homepipeAboutpipeArchivepipeSubscribepipeContactpipevva.orgVVA gifFacebookContact
-
July/August 2018
-

Letters

PASSING IT ON

I have been receiving The VVA Veteran for a couple of years, and myself and my other veteran brothers here in this prison unit in Texas thank you. The magazine is sent to me, but it is passed on to other veterans who are interested in reading it. It has helped our veteran brothers of all eras; the helpful articles in the mag are greatly appreciated. Vietnam veterans are dwindling, but the young veterans will remain.

I come from an immediate family of five veterans dating from World War II to Iraq. In remembrance, I salute.

God Bless You. God Bless America.

Ruben R. Villalva
Huntsville, Texas

PRESERVING A LEGACY

Thanks for Henry Zeybel’s review of my recent book on the VVA site. I greatly appreciate your commitment to review every book published relating to the Vietnam War and Era. We have proven far more willing to share our stories than veterans of previous U.S. wars, thereby providing a priceless legacy for future generations. The volume of our output, however, makes your pledge to give each book some attention a very significant commitment of time and effort. This recognition of the importance of the written word in preserving our history is one of several things that distinguishes VVA, in a very positive way, from other veterans organizations.

Thank you for your efforts. Please pass my gratitude on to Henry.

Steve Atkinson
By Email

GRUMPY OLD MEN

I could not believe all the negativity in the Letters of the May/June issue. I thought I was reading some of the script from the movie Grumpy Old Men. So many people unhappy with the advertisements. Just don’t buy the products.

As for veterans tired of being told “Thank you for your service,” Sandy Steer stated it perfectly: If you don’t like being thanked for your service, don’t advertise it.

Geez, lighten up, vets. 

Pete Killian
By Email

HONOR, NOT HONORARIUM

After reading the letters by Peter P. Joyce Jr., Mike Berzinsky, Mike Kendzejeski, and Sandy Steer in your May/June 2018 issue, it is not hard to realize, recognize, and sympathize with our world’s loss of its moral conscience and footing.

Your editor’s response to Mr. Joyce missed the point, which was not about a coin dedicated to honoring a current President of the United States, but “honoring” an individual—who is the President of the United States and Commander and Chief of its armed forces—for deeds (publicly mentioned by him disrespecting women); and demeaning, disrespectful, and racially divisive words not expected of an individual in those offices. I respect the office but not the man.

As for the “welcoming home” or “thank you for your service” issues, I recommend participation in, or support of, the Honor Flight movement. The program is indicated online as being available in 131 hubs; only Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, and Mississippi do not have one.

I recently went on an Honor Flight from Fort Dodge, Iowa. It was overwhelming—in the number of people of our generation and more so much younger—who took the time out of their days to honor us on our departure, along the route, and during our visits to our nation’s veterans memorials and other historic monuments, then for our departure and return. Their sincerity was unmistakably genuine; and their handshakes and hugs were welcomed by me and the other ninety-seven World War II (six of them), Korean War, and Vietnam War veterans on that nineteen-hour day that took us from Iowa to Washington, D.C.

I will treasure the day as much as I treasure having served my country and countrymen—men, women and children—for almost forty years in community, federal, and military service. God bless those who have served, are serving, and will serve. Freedom, peace, and respect are not free; and no gold coin honorarium can or will make it so. Thank you and God bless America.

Sam Sear
Ida Grove, Iowa

LIKE MUSICAL CHAIRS

I would like to raise awareness—and hopefully get something done—about the VA’s policy of moving counselors around like musical chairs. I am a Vietnam vet with PTSD, and I have seen many psychologists and psychiatrists over the years. What frustrates me and many other veterans is the fact that when we finally begin to get comfortable with talking to our counselors, invariably they are shuffled off to another VA or department.

It is not fair for veterans to completely start over with their counseling every time the VA decides to move them around. It has gotten to the point that I have all but given up trying to get counseling, because I am tired and frustrated having to start all over with a different counselor every few months. I am weary of having to tell my story over and over and over again. This is not progress and certainly is not fair to vets seeking mental help. I sincerely hope the VA will change this policy so we can get meaningful, ongoing help.

Charles Hay
By Email

NOT A DODGE

I am not writing this to in any way to endorse Donald Trump. However, those who refer to him as a draft dodger do not understand what happens at a military entrance processing station. When young men and women take a physical to enter the military, they must be approved by the physician at the MEPS for service. Physical standards are the same for all branches. All applicants are either approved for service or are rejected.

If President Trump had a bone spur and was rejected because of that, he did not have the option of asking the doc to overlook it so he could serve. Now, he may have been relieved that he was rejected, but that is irrelevant to this argument. I could list a hundred trivial ailments that can cause one to be rejected for military service. Dodging the draft means you did something intentional to fail the physical, not failing the physical for conditions out of your control.

I served as the senior liaison NCO at the Omaha MEPS, 1986-88.

Dennis R. Murra
Buffalo Center, Iowa

CHOOSING TO BE CIVIL

A letter published in the May/June issue referred to President Trump as “Cadet Bone Spur.” I suppose the writer would also refer to Presidents Clinton and Bush by contemptuous names, President Clinton for obtaining a draft deferment and President Bush for National Guard service (some claim he joined the Guard to avoid Vietnam service). Personally, I don’t use derogatory names when I refer to a president. I respect the office, even though I may not respect the man.

I also take issue with the editorial response to his letter, which said, “We may not agree with his polices,” referring to President Trump’s support of privatization of some of the VA healthcare system. I support veterans having a choice in their health care. Let me choose where to obtain my health care. I want to be able to go where I can receive the best treatment for my condition.

Al Wartner
By Email

The writer is mistaken. The editorial response was not a reference to administration efforts to change the VA health care delivery system. —Editor

DRIVING TIME

In a letter in the last issue a Pennsylvania member worried that President Trump is trying to damage the VA. I go to a doctor who was with the 101st in Vietnam. He was the first to bring up the foolishness of sending all vets to the VA. Why not cover them under Medicare?

In the ’90s I went to the VA (2 hours south) to St Louis. The computer didn’t have me listed so I came back home and returned the following month. I was Artillery (155mm) and they said I needed hearing aids. Imagine that. They made an appointment for 3 months later, and I had to drive to Danville (2 1⁄2 hours east). They re-evaluated, and I had to come back 6 weeks later tp get hearing aids. I returned (2 1⁄2 hours) every few months for adjustments. I now go to Peoria (1 1⁄2 hours north).

An Iraq War veteran I know has to go to Danville (2 1⁄2) for a test in a month. He then has to go to Indianapolis (3 1⁄2) for a colonoscopy the following month. Because of eye damage he can’t drive. Springfield, Ill., where we are all centered, has two great hospitals, a med school, and good clinics. Why not let him go there on Medicare? 

Joe Fleming
Chatham, Illinois

PURPLE HEART PASSION

As one of many soldiers who survived wartime wounds, we understand we have been chosen to guard the door through which soldiers pass to their death in defense of America’s principles and freedoms. One way to make sure they are never forgotten is to find ways to have the symbol of their sacrifices help solve our problems of violence in America.

One way is to display the Purple Heart flag under our American flag and post Purple Heart banners in public places. We must educate citizens, especially the young, that violence is only to be used in time of war. Only cowards use guns on innocent people.

Using murderous violence against unarmed, innocent American citizens is an act of a cowardice gone wild and should be dealt with in the harshest of ways. Pictures of assaulters should not be published as it promotes the sensationalism of being infamous. Families of convicted mass shooters also need to understand they will be held financially liable for violence committed by family members.

We need to make all citizens understand that a million-plus soldiers have sacrificed their lives to permit us to live in freedom. Our many rights of equality for all religions, races, nationalities, genders, and ages has elevated our country to being the greatest nation in the world.

Russell D. Ward
Tonawanda, New York

BAY STATE DELEGATION

I enjoyed reading “Glory Days” in the last issue of The VVA Veteran. I was a founding delegate from Chapter 116 in Leominster, Massachusetts. The Massachusetts Delegation, a diverse and activist group, included:

Bill Martin was the nurse referred to in the article; he also chaired the delegation. In recent years he served as Mayor of Greenfield, Mass.

Brian Willson, an attorney and veterans pacifist, later lost his legs in Concord, Calif., protesting U.S. Central American involvement.

Joe Bangert, known as “Doctor D,” was an Agent Orange activist who later spent time in Hanoi.

Larry Caprari became the Town Veterans Agent in Pittsfield.

Tom Larue was a hard-core Special Forces veteran who supplied the Army with customized knifes.

Paul Makarian was from North Adams, the chapter with a bar, later grand-fathered in by VVA.

In the article, John Rowan says Bobby Muller “hocked his house.” True. Muller gave much of his money as grants so that delegates could attend the Convention. Myself included. I was only able to afford a couple of cheeseburgers a day at the Peoples Drug adjacent to the Shoreham.

I would enjoy a similar roundtable about the Second Convention in Detroit where Keith King ran for President and Wayne Wilson for Vice President and Leominster was able to get Lily Adams as a delegate. Certainly, there are some stories to be told, including about the incarcerated delegates from Michigan.

Dan Carr
By Email

printemailshare

- Departments
-
University of Florida Smathers Libraries
- - -
- -
Also:

-Jacksonville, Florida, Chapter 1046:
Shooting For Success

-Liberty’s 51-Year Cover-Up

- -
VVA logoThe VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring. MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us