Vietnam Veterans of America
The VVA Veteran® Online
homepipeAboutpipeArchivepipeSubscribepipeContactpipevva.orgVVA gifFacebookContact
-
March/April 2018
-

Letters

TOO MANY TRIGGERS

I understand Mr. Burton’s concern (January/February Letters) about you being sensitive to how your articles’ words or drawings might trigger flashbacks. But how in heaven’s name can you as an editor avoid them? There are too many triggers out there.

Just this morning the widow of one of my squad members sent me her usual daily Scripture (Psalm 23:4 “Yea, though I walk through the valley...”). That sent me back to the Zippo lighter that I carried back then. I told her about the flashback and added, as Bob Hope would sing, “Thanks for the memories.”

For those of you who don’t recall the slightly modified soldier’s version, I’m grateful that I am no longer the evil SOB that I was back then.

Your articles and drawings help more than hurt. Keep ’em coming.

John Roy
By Email

MOH SURVIVING SPOUSES

I appreciated the articles on Medal of Honor recipients Mike Rose, James McCloughan, and Buddy Bucha in the last issue. Please keep up the excellent work.

For more than two years I have been attempting to get the law changed that provides the Special Pension to our Medal of Honor recipients. As the law is written, the Special Pension terminates on the death of the recipient. It is not transferred to the surviving spouse. But the spouse of a Medal of Honor recipient is as much a part of military service as the member, and must be recognized and honored. The law must be re-written to provide for the surviving spouse. Some may be raising children, and the additional income may very well be used to sustain a future member of one of our military academies.

I would like to think the omission was simply an oversight when the law was written. I have been working with my senator to correct the error, but have found that to be a very frustrating activity. It took a year to get a revision of the law produced by Sen. Dan Sullivan’s office staff. It was never presented to the U.S. Senate for a vote and has expired. I hope a new attempt will provide a positive outcome this year. I have been assured that the effort continues and a new re-written law is underway. I continue to make telephone calls and write emails on this important legislation.

I encourage my fellow members to join me in this effort to get the Medal of Honor recipient Special Pension transferred to the surviving spouse. Please contact your Senators and Representatives.

Dave Glenn
Wasilla, Alaska

REMOVE ME

After reading your article on Veronika Fimbres, California’s “Compassionate Candidate,” it is extremely hard for me to continue to support this organization. I cannot and will not support any organization that approves of this type of lifestyle. Please immediately remove me from your roster of members.

Charles Nordan
By Email

Veronika Fimbres is a Vietnam War veteran, a VVA member, and probably the only VVA member who has run for governor. Her inclusion is totally appropriate.  —Editor

CAPITAL CRIME

For the past several years I have looked forward to receiving The Veteran. The magazine helps me keep connected to my past and up to date on veterans issues and concerns. However, as a retired law enforcement officer who has patrolled the very street where your office is located, I find it difficult to understand why you would publish articles like Mokie Porter’s “Tony Joyner Is a Free Man.”

Murder is a capital crime that should never be condoned, especially in The Veteran. Murder even of a drug dealer cannot be supported or glorified; his good works in prison don’t replace the life he took. I wonder if Porter bothered to verify his story that his victim was a drug dealer and that he killed to protect his own life. Evidently, the judge and jury did not quite see it that way when they condemned him.

There are thousands of VVA members whom Porter could write about, showing their patriotism, compassion, and lifelong commitment to veterans. Instead, she writes about Joyner sharing a tangerine or Hershey bar with a child or how he still wakes early for a head count. These are attempts to elicit pity and compassion for a convicted murderer, but glorifying murder has no place in The VVA Veteran.

Will Liston
Charles Town, West Virginia

THANKED ENOUGH

This will probably get me kicked out of VVA, but I think it’s about time that we Vietnam veterans stop using a very old excuse as part of the reason for our problems or our dislike of the way we were treated upon returning home from Vietnam.

It has been forty-six years since the last living American troops returned from Vietnam and Southeast Asia. It is true we did not receive the “Welcome Home” that was warranted, but since then America has gone out of its way time and again, year after year, to welcome us back. 

Even though Vietnam veterans’ unofficial slogan has been “Welcome Home,” I think it is about time that this phrase be put to bed and only used when an MIA returns to America and his family. That person is truly deserving of a “Welcome Home” from everyone. 

For the rest of us, get over it. There is no way we have not been thanked more than enough times over the past half century.

William La Monte
By Email

MISREPORTED

I read the President’s Report. Big mistake: the city of Ennis is in County Clare, not County Galway. Also not mentioned was that the names on the Irish Veterans Memorial were Irish-born and not yet American citizens. Another omission was the names of the U.S. organizers of the Irish Veterans Memorial Project.

Michael L. DeRosa
By Email

REASON FOR HOPE

I wanted to respond to Comer Glass’ letter (November/December) concerning Pennsylvania’s position on no parole for those with life sentences. Michigan takes a similar stand, and some of our fellow veterans have suffered for thirty-five, forty, or even more years from PTSD, TBI, and ailments resulting from exposure to Agent Orange.

Here in Michigan, by fate and steadfast determination we’ve been provided with two means to correct this situation. First, the Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC), the VA Medical Center, and the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency (MVAA) entered into an agreement on incarcerated veterans filing claims. The MOU seeks to improve the C&P processing time for incarcerated veterans and provide them with the same entitlements as non-incarcerated veterans. The VAMC processes C&P examinations and benefit questionnaires and coordinates services for incarcerated vets. The MDOC provides custody and transportation for any examination that is required at the VAMC. The MVAA helps process claims for eligible incarcerated veterans.

Second, MDOC has established a Veteran Housing Unit in the Saginaw Correctional Facility and permitted the formation of a Veterans Group associated with VVA Bay City Chapter 494. The SCF Veterans Group developed an initiative for the release of honorably discharged veterans who have served more than twenty years and maintained good disciplinary records. This initiative was sent to the Governor’s office requesting serious consideration for commutation of their sentences—even life sentences. We want a second chance at the freedoms for which we laid our lives on the line prior to coming to prison.

I wanted other chapters associated with incarcerated veterans to know that something can be done to improve their situation. Continue to press your Regional VA Offices to work in conjunction with their state DOCs to coordinate and promote programs that will assist incarcerated veterans. Never lose faith; never lose hope.

Roberto D’Avanzo
SCF Veterans Group
Freeland, Michigan

THE SACRIFICES MADE

The “Parting Shot” photo of Paul “Buddy” Bucha in the January/February issue reminded me of a speech he made back in the 1990s. I attended the dedication of a memorial to James Fous at Central High School in Omaha, Nebraska. Fous was a buddy of mine, and I went through basic training with him. He was killed in May of 1968 and was awarded the Medal of Honor.

Mr. Bucha gave a stirring speech about the Vietnam War and made a point of honoring Vietnam veterans. He mentioned how most of them could not avoid the war, often because of financial reasons. He also mentioned the sacrifices that the soldiers’ families had to make.

A choir of about twelve young ladies started to listen very attentively when Bucha mentioned that most kids were just out of high school. After the speech and while everyone was filing out, they happened to be walking by not far from me.  I remember one who said to her friends, “That man made me cry.”

Ralph H. Forbes
By Email

LAST ISSUE’S LETTERS

After reading the letters in the last issue, I find it interesting that four writers spoke about history repeating itself and wonder how the great officer graduates from West Point cannot see past their noses most of the time. Yes, history does repeat itself, time and time again.

I do agree with one writer that Nixon and LBJ should have apologized for their lies and actions. They have taken that to the grave with them and wherever they have landed. 

Two letters that did not surprise me concerned VVA chapters helping brothers. We are brothers and sisters as veterans and we should help each other.

If the letter from Fred Rothaermel is true, then VVA either owes Garofalo an apology or VVA needs to retract its statements publicly on the recognition of Sen. Richard Blumenthal. This is not about politics; rather, it’s about a sense of honor among veterans. A man can steal $100,000 and give it away; does that make him a good man?

Reading the letters recognizing American Indian veterans: They were good letters, but I for one am a brother to all veterans. Makes no difference what the color of their skin is or their nationality. We are all brothers and sisters as veterans who have served our country honorably. 

I must admit in closing that the last letter, written by Stanley V. Allen, brought tears to my eyes. I hope that all of us as Vietnam veterans have Stanley’s feeling of people doing something that will give recognition to those who served. From this group’s simple gesture, they gave a man back some of his dignity and moved him to help others.

Al Wood, Sr.
By Email

Locating a Hero

OD JordanLast week I found my Marine buddy, OD Jordan. Cathie Pelletier from Maine had read my query in The VVA Veteran “Locator” section. She made inquiries and found OD via the Internet and Facebook.

On May 26, 1967, twelve of us Marines from Lima 3/9 were wounded and three killed while assaulting a hill near Con Thien in the DMZ.

We were choppered from the battlefield to Dong Ha aid station. After landing, I sat in the front seat of the green (MASH-type) ambulance because they didn’t have enough room for me in back. They only had two ambulances and they were overfull. I can remember rolling the window down because it was so hot. As I leaned out the window, my blood dripped down the side of the ambulance.

The corpsmen unloaded everyone and many were very badly hurt. I waited but nobody came for me, so I crawled out of the ambulance and into the aid station, leaving a blood trail. There were two sick-bay benches near the door, and Marines with toothaches and such things sat there. I sat there because I was so tired, everyone staring at me.

I had about a hundred shrapnel wounds from a DH-10 Chi-Com claymore. A big piece of shrapnel nicked my femoral artery, and I was bleeding out, a pool of blood growing at my feet on the sick-bay bench.

OD had been wounded two days before with a small piece of shrapnel in his finger. He heard we were decimated on the assault and burst through the aid station’s door (made of six-inch-wide plastic strips).

He said, “Nobody’s working on you?” He picked me up and carried me into the aid station, found a corpsman and doctor to work on me. Later he identified the dead: Tommy Goodrich, Willie B. Skrine, and John Duggan.

I was told I might die so I asked for a chaplain and was baptized. I think the chaplain was a Catholic priest, but things were going too fast for concentration on any one thing. After about two hours I was stabilized, and the doctor told me I was going to Hue (Phu Bai) to be operated on. I told him I wanted Da Nang because I knew they shipped everyone directly home from there.

He looked at the six NVA belt buckles I had collected from the dead that week (all different) and said if I gave him those he might be able to go against Navy policy. I did. He did.

A C-130 was waiting on the airstrip, and they loaded several of us in it. My doctor told them to load me on a C-141 headed to Andrews AFB in D.C. immediately.
I was there twenty hours later. Eight hours after that I was in St. Alban’s Naval Hospital, and the admitting doctor was amazed that I was still wrapped in field battle dressings and not even bathed. He tore the bandage off my shin, and it started spurting blood.

The Dong Ha aid station was the last time I saw OD Jordan. I looked for him for a long time. Last week I found him. He was a D.C. cop for twenty years, divorced, remarried, and moved to Memphis.

In July 1967 his mom and dad in New Orleans received a telegram saying he was KIA, his body vaporized with four other Marines at Con Thien. They had a military funeral for him. A week later he wrote home and said he was okay.

His wife told me that in 2012 he had a heart attack. In the hospital two days later the doctor told him he could go home. He was dressing when he had another heart attack and died.

That’s the basic story.

His widow said he never spoke about the Marines or combat. They had no pictures. I collected about fifty photos of him from all my buddies and sent them to his family in Memphis. I told them about a part of their dad they never knew. I served with heroes like OD. I have been very lucky.

VVA’s magazine and a nice Maine resident gave us closure. Thank you.

—Ron Parsons, By Email

printemailshare

- Departments
-
University of Florida Smathers Libraries
- - -
- -
Also:
chapter 301Wreath-Laying In Paradise:
Oahu, Hawaii, Chapter 858.
chapter 301Mission of Honor: Bordentown,
New Jersey, Chapter 899
- -
VVA logoThe VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring. MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us