Vietnam Veterans of America
The VVA Veteran® Online
homepipeAboutpipeArchivepipeSubscribepipeContactpipevva.orgVVA gifFacebookContact
-
President’s Report, March/April 2018
-

VA Privatization–Choice It Isn’t

John Rowan, Photo: Michael Keating We are ever vigilant in our fight against efforts to privatize the VA health system. I am a classic example of why this won’t work. The VA already uses private-sector doctors. On February 15, 2017, I underwent cardiac surgery to replace my aortic valve at the Manhattan VA Medical Center.

The surgery was performed by Dr. Eugene Grassi and his colleagues from the New York University School of Medicine. My recovery, however, took place in the VAMC and my care was provided by VA nursing staff. My ICU nurse was a 28-year Army veteran. One of my after-care nurses was a Navy veteran and one of the occupational therapists was a retired Army colonel. They care about veterans.

Some politicians believe that the private sector can do a better job, but that has not been my experience. I was diagnosed with skin cancer in 1983 by the VA during an Agent Orange physical. As result, I have had annual physicals by my private-sector dermatologist. Unfortunately, after all these years he retired. When I approached my private health care provider for a new dermatologist they could not come up with one close by and the next appointment was three months away. When I called the VA—as I am now service connected—they got me an appointment in two weeks. And I don’t even want to talk about the extreme extra expense of trying to service veterans in the private sector.

We must stop any efforts to turn over our health care to the for-profit health care business, because Congress will not be able to fund it.

THE MYSTERY OF DNA

In this issue Loana Hoylman explains the DNA techniques used by DPAA in identifying MIA remains. These breakthroughs have helped us in many ways to identify our lost, but it has also helped us determine some of the effects of Agent Orange.

MARY STOUT TELLS OUR STORY

Former National President Mary Stout tells the story of VVA’s early efforts as the lone organization trying to understand what happened to us from our exposure to Agent Orange. The article is part of our effort to revisit the organization’s history during this, our fortieth anniversary.

OUR CHAMPIONS

I want to congratulate Sharon Hodge and Maureen Elias for being named among the top one hundred veteran advocates by HillVets for their service on behalf of our veterans.

ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH?

Drs. Tom Berger and Tom Hall separate fact from fiction in the debate over medical marijuana. Our colleagues in Colorado and some other states may have access to legal marijuana, but the VA has not concurred with these state positions.

IRISH VIETNAM WAR KIAs

In the last issue I mentioned the memorial in Ennis for those born in Ireland who served in our military and were killed in Ireland. Recently I learned that my friend Marc McCabe’s father, who was a Master Sergeant in the Army when he was killed in Vietnam, was born in Galway, Ireland. I will work to get his name added to this memorial.

If you know of any other KIAs who were born in Ireland, please send their information to jrowan@vva.org

HAPPY ST. PATRICK’S DAY

As we go through the usual ups and downs of March weather we can always take the opportunity to celebrate on the 17th when everybody is Irish.

printemailshare

- Departments
-
University of Florida Smathers Libraries
- - -
- -
Also:
chapter 301Wreath-Laying In Paradise:
Oahu, Hawaii, Chapter 858.
chapter 301Mission of Honor: Bordentown,
New Jersey, Chapter 899
- -
VVA logoThe VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring. MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us