Vietnam Veterans of America
The VVA Veteran® Online
homepipeAboutpipeArchivepipeSubscribepipeContactpipevva.orgVVA gifFacebookContact
-
President’s Report, November/December 2019
-

Stand Up for All Veterans

© Matthew BorkowskiI hope everyone had a wonderful Veterans Day. This year marks the centennial of the Armistice/Veterans Day Parade in New York City. As I mentioned last year, Mariann’s grandfather, Guiseppe Onorato, and my grandfather’s brother, Thomas McLaughlin, served in that war. Mariann’s grandfather lived a good life, using his veteran status to get a city job and prosper.

My great-uncle, having been wounded in the war and having his wife die while he was away, came home, sent his son off to college, and five years after the war walked into Riverside Park and committed suicide. You would think that after all the years and all the wars we would have learned to deal with this issue. It is not too late.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

On behalf of the Officers and Board of Directors and their families, Mariann and I wish all VVA members and their families a peaceful, safe, and happy holiday season. For those who use this time of the year to make donations, please remember those still serving who will not be with their families this season.

THE NEW VETERANS

As the Officers and Board begin to review our options to implement the Convention resolution regarding changing our name and opening our membership, we are asking all the Officers, Directors, and State Council Presidents to reach out to the new veterans’ groups in their communities. In this way, we hope to identify leaders who can assist us in our deliberations. We also hope to use these encounters to learn more about these new veterans.

It should be obvious that these new veterans are different. They came home to great education benefits and the support of their communities—the “Welcome Home” that many of us never got. Plus, they live in a modern universe that we never could have imagined. They are involved in new organizations, but these groups exist primarily online—although I have observed that they do like to get together for social events.

Some of you may be more aware of these new veterans, as they may be family members. If so, that would make it easier. In any case, please talk to them, get to know them, and learn how they feel about VVA, veterans’ organizations, and the issues affecting veterans today.

We would like to see our successful work on behalf of veterans continue. However, the new veterans have to understand that they need to stand for veterans from all eras to ensure that we all get the services and programs that we need and deserve or they can easily go away.

Mariann and I wish everyone a Healthy and Happy New Year.

printemailshare

- Departments
-
University of Florida Smathers Libraries
- - -
- -
Also:
Chapter 1105Quilts of Honor: Sussex County, Delaware Chapter 1105   Chapter 946POW/MIA Chair of Honor: Central Georgia Chapter 946
- -
VVA logoThe VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring. MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us