Vietnam Veterans of America  

The VVA Veteran® Online  
  homepipeAboutpipeArchivepipeSubscribepipeContactpipevva.orgVVA gifFacebookContact    

-
Books in Review, March/April 2022 -   -  

The Tale of the ‘Underground Hero of Grizzly Bear Stuff’

Doug Peacock, who served two tours as a U.S. Army Special Forces medic in Vietnam, made a name for himself in his postwar years for doing something extraordinary that was directly related to his service in the war. An outdoorsman all his life, growing up in Northern Michigan, Peacock instinctively knew his troubled emotional state after coming home from Vietnam would be ameliorated by spending huge amounts of time, much of it by himself, living basically off the land in remote, inaccessible parts of the western U.S., Canada, and Mexico.

Peacock headed for the wilds of Yellowstone National Park. That’s where, to his surprise, he ran into his first grizzly bear. That encounter set the young veteran on a long quest to observe and chronicle the lives of those fearsome creatures. In the process, he became a staunch, unconventional, and sometimes not-law-abiding advocate and protector of the grizzlies—or, as one witty observer put it, “the underground hero of grizzly bear stuff.”

Doug Peacock, who received the VVA Excellence in the Arts Award at the 2017 National Convention, chronicled his sometimes harrowing, often thrilling, and ultimately healing adventures in Grizzly Years: In Search of the American Wilderness. That 1990 book covers the time he lived in Yellowstone and tracked grizzlies in Wyoming and in the massive Bob Marshall Wilderness Area in western Montana. National Geographic Adventure magazine named it one of the 100 best adventure books of all time.

In Walking It Off: A Veteran’s Chronicle of War and Wilderness (2005) Peacock wrote about how he dealt with his PTSD by backpacking in the deserts of the American Southwest, the Northern Rockies, and in the mountains of Nepal. That memoir also includes flashbacks to his tour of duty in the Central Highlands. The book offers a “visceral, intellectual, and spiritual look” at the natural world, said former Marine Lt. Philip (A Rumor of War) Caputo, who called Peacock “a direct literary descendant of Thoreau, with a few genes from Audubon, and his mentor,” the environmental activist and author Edward Abbey.

Which brings us to Peacock’s new book, Was It Worth It? A Wilderness Warrior’s Long Trail Home (Patagonia, ‎320 pp. $27.95), a group of evocatively told wilderness tales that didn’t make it into Peacock’s previous books. The book also amplifies Peacock’s work with grizzlies and other large wilderness animals. It amounts to a summing up of his unique life and work in the last fifty-plus years and ends with the answer to the title’s question.

Was It Worth It? also is suffused with flashbacks to Peacock’s war experiences and his reflections on how they have influenced his “good life full of swamps, rivers, woods, deserts, and mountains,” since he came home in 1968.

“From 1965 to 1968,” Peacock writes, “I worked as a Special Forces medic who attended to too much collateral damage—that cowardly phrase they apply to the pile of small, dismembered bodies after a botched air attack.” After coming home from the war in March 1968, he says, “I applied the anger I had built doing that to the defense of wild things, dimly realizing that the fate of the Earth and her inhabitants depended on uncompromising protection of the wilderness homeland and wild creatures. My war experiences, good and bad, prepared me for the fight; it was a gift. I learned to love grizzly bears.”

This richly produced book (published by Patagonia, the outdoor clothing and gear company) is illustrated with many stunning color photos. Those images add even more life to Peacock’s first-person tales of the epic wilderness treks he took, mostly alone and living mostly off the land. That includes backpacking in “the huge roadless country” between Ajo and Yuma, Arizona; rowing down the Big Hole River in Montana; observing polar bears in the High Canadian Arctic; scoping out black spirit bears in British Columbia; tracking Siberian tigers in the Russian Far East; and exploring Belize’s jaguar country.

Doug Peacock is a multi-hyphenate: an author/filmmaker/conservationist/wildlife activist/naturalist/adventurer/grizzly bear expert. Not to mention being the inspiration for a memorable fictional character, George Washington Hayduke, in Abbey’s novel, The Monkey Wrench Gang.

The former Green Beret shows off his not-so-shabby writer’s chops in Was It Worth It?. Here’s one example, a mediation on a solo night in the Sierra Madre Mountains:

“The treasure of beauty and mystery that lingers here belongs to the mountain, along with the last Mexican grizzly. I switch off the tiny flashlight and look up at an emerging planet. The stars are coming out. I hear a last gobble of a tom turkey safe in his roost. A coyote yaps somewhere in the wilderness. I cinch up the shoulder straps of my backpack and make my way down the canyon in the gathering dark.”

That’s just one example of many engaging passages you’ll find in this summing up of a good life’s work.

A DEAR JOHN MYTH

Myth or reality? The Vietnam War led all other American conflicts in Dear John letters and the reason was that many women back home took out their hatred of the war on their boyfriends and husbands taking part in the fighting on the other side of the globe.

It turns out that the contention that the Vietnam War spawned more Dear John letters from disloyal women back home than any other American conflict since the invention of the postal service is based on anecdotal and deeply flawed evidence—and very likely is a myth. That’s what Susan L. Carruthers reports in her revealing, deep dive into the history of her subject in Dear John: Love and Loyalty in Wartime America (Cambridge University Press, 336 pp., $29.95).

The idea that Dear Johns “were singularly expressive of home front disapproval is much more easily proposed than proved,” Carruthers concludes. She goes on to say that the myth itself “tells us more about the politics of those making the claim than about the motives of women who broke off relationships with men serving in Vietnam.”

In this academic but mostly readable book, Carruthers does a fine job digging out the origins of the term “Dear John letter” during World War II. She uses many primary sources—including veterans’ memoirs and oral histories—to delve into what has motivated women to write the letters, how the GIs who received them reacted, what contemporary journalists and mental-health professionals have had to say about them, and how the letters have been portrayed in pop music and Hollywood movies.

In addition to calling into question the purported outsized prevalence of Dear John letters in the Vietnam War, Carruthers devotes a fair amount of space to a close examination of those letters (and post-captivity marital breakups) among U.S. Vietnam War POWs and their spouses.

Carruthers, a history professor at the University of Warwick in England, says that her book “has less to say about why individual women wrote Dear John letters than about why other people had so much to say about the severance of romantic ties between men and women in wartime.” In doing so, she shows that women—not surprisingly—have borne the brunt of the blame for what many see as an almost traitorous act in every American war since World War II, including the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Fighting the Bad War
by Angelo Presicci

REVIEW BY BILL McCLOUD

Angelo Presicci’s Fighting the Bad War (Night Horn Books, 232 pp. $24.95, paper) is a collection of seventeen autobiographical linked short stories that take place during the war in Vietnam and the immediate postwar years. VVA member Presicci served with the 11th Armored Cavalry in Vietnam in 1966-67. His writing style kept my interest as I went from one story to another.

In the first, “The Tunnel,” we witness “a few men in one of those futile military chores like shifting dirt.” One guy likes to show off Polaroids of “rotting, bloated bodies.” Two men, much to their dismay, are told to check out a tunnel.

The NCO giving the order says, “Take my word, it’s gonna be OK down there.” When asked how he knows that, he replies, “I don’t goddamn hafta know. My job is giving orders.” In the tunnel the men encounter “tropical roaches the size of Arizona.”

“All the Undecorated Heroes” features a pet monkey and a commanding officer who sees the war only as “dots and coordinates on maps and grids.” He says things like, “Charlie’s out there. Today’s our lucky day.” No surprise that talk of fragging comes up. “Graveside Etiquette” consists almost entirely of Catch-22-type dialogue.

My favorite story, “A Day in the Life of Sen Wah,” focuses on an 18-year-old Vietnamese girl. “She backed away out of the crowd and watched the Americans, some of them handsome and rugged, and bigger than their Vietnamese counterparts,” Presicci writes. “Wasn’t that what made them feel superior?”

Sen Wah is unsure about her father’s loyalties as she helps him serve water buffalo burgers to the GIs. We learn that she wanted to teach, but U.S. bombs destroyed her school, killing some of the children in the process. “We were once normal innocent students,” she says, “and now we are normal with being at war.”

The stories in the second half of the book take place in the U.S. between the years of 1970 and 1986. They include some of the characters in the earlier stories and involve flashbacks, troubled attempts to return to school, the guilt of a man who avoided service, and the effects of the war on those who remained home.

This book can be read as if it’s a novel divided into two parts. It’s to Angelo Pressici’s great credit that both halves are equally well done. I hope to read far more stories from him.

MAT 111 Dong Xoai, Vietnam 1971 by Jim Roberts

Jim Roberts’ MAT 111 Dong Xoai, Vietnam 1971: Stories from 33 Quebec’s Tour of Duty (366 pp. $29.98, hardcover; $17.87, paper; $6.99, Kindle) is a collection of true stories by a brave and humble man about his service in the Vietnam War during Vietnamization.

Roberts, a life member of Vietnam Veterans of America, was a deferment-carrying high school science teacher who quit his job, gave up his deferment, and enlisted in the U.S. Army in June 1969. He signed up for Infantry OCS, then volunteered to serve in Vietnam. 

The new lieutenant arrived in Dong Xoai in Phuoc Long Province on the Cambodian border in April 1970. He put in a tour of duty with Mobile Advisory Team 111 as Senior Advisor to local South Vietnamese Army Regional and Popular Forces (sometimes known as Ruff-Puffs). Roberts and four U.S. soldiers lived among the Vietnamese. By 1971, with Vietnamization in full swing, departing American troops were not replaced, and Roberts eventually found himself the only American left in camp.

“33 Quebec” was Roberts’ radio call sign. As part of the five-man MAT team, he and 33 Tango, a sergeant first class, formed a two-man unit advising local Vietnamese Regional Force soldiers on combat operations in the jungles and hamlets. His book tells about his war experiences during this turbulent period of the Vietnam War.

MAT 111 Dong Xoai, Vietnam 1971 is very well written. Roberts presents his 42 stories in a way that put me at his side throughout much of it. His penchant for explaining everything works well as a primer for those with little knowledge about the war, as well as a refresher for veterans and others familiar with the U.S. advisory effort in Vietnam. The book includes a good number of maps and photographs.

Roberts shares everything as he relates his joys and sorrows, his bravery and fears, and his knowledge and ignorance. Throughout the book he displays a high degree of maturity and fairness in his wartime thinking and decision-making. He also describes quite a few dangerous situations which he jokingly refers to as “a walk in the woods,” along with several fast-paced moments of combat.   

I highly recommend this book.

printemailshare

-March/April 2022January/February 2022November/December 2021September/October 2021July/August 2021May/June 2021March/April 2021January/February 2021November/December 2020September/October 2020July/August 2020May/June 2020March/April 2020January/February 2020November/December 2019September/October 2019July/August 2019May/June 2019
---
-Archives
2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016
| 2014 | 2013 | 2012
| 2010 | 2009 | 2008
| 2006 | 2005 | 2004
| 2002 | 2001 | 2000

----Find us on Facebook-Online Only:Arts of War on the Web
Book in Brief-
-

Basic Training Photo Gallery
Basic Training Photo Gallery
2013 & 2014 APEX® Award Winner

Departments     University of Florida Smathers Libraries  
  - -      

VVA logoThe VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring, MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us

Geoffrey Clifford Mark F. Erickson Chuck Forsman