Vietnam Veterans of America  

The VVA Veteran® Online  
  homepipeAboutpipeArchivepipeSubscribepipeContactpipevva.orgVVA gifFacebookContact    

-
November/December 2020 -   -  

Letters

IBEW FOUND A WAY

I was glad to read that VVA will not be renamed. I was not so glad that you have not found a way to return to a print version of The Veteran.

I’ve been a member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers since I finished my hitch with the U.S. Army in 1970. The IBEW had always produced a monthly magazine with similar production values and materials as The Veteran which, likewise, became too expensive a few years ago.

They chose to go to a much-less-costly version by foregoing the slick paper and changing to a smaller sheet size. They continue to print full-color photos and include a good deal of information of interest to electricians and retirees. They include letters, local union updates, and reports of deaths of union members.

Perhaps you could contact the IBEW for some recommendations or tips which might allow The Veteran to go back in print. By the way, they do not have advertising in their monthly, so you have a funding advantage from the start.

Andrew D. Bowman, Jr.
At-Large Georgia
By Email

LEFT BEHIND

I received your notice that The VVA Veteran will no longer be printed in hard copy. What does this mean to incarcerated Vietnam veterans?

Since incarcerated veterans are not allowed access to the Internet, we no longer have a connection with our fellow Nam vets through The VVA Veteran. It means you, of all people, have joined the ranks of those who left us behind. How totally insulting and politically degrading.

When I was in Germany at the end of 1967 people came to my unit saying a large buildup of enemy troops was occurring in Vietnam and volunteers already in the military were needed to back up guys already there. Myself and three others in my squad re-enlisted for immediate transfer to Vietnam. I spent the entire year of 1968 with the Big Red One in the Iron Triangle.

How many of us are held in prison because we’re Nam vets? I don’t know, but that was the verbal reason the judge locked me away. Now without consideration, you drop us from your thoughts as well.

Thanks for the memories.

Nathan C. Sollish
Ontario, Oregon

GRUMPY OLD GUYS

I’m one of the grumpy old guys: I like spreading open a newspaper or book or magazine on the kitchen table, on my lap, or on any flat surface, then reading without having to look into a computer tube. So bring back the print copy of The Veteran. Make it every four to six months if you must to save a few bucks.

Fred Wilhelm
By Email

SILVERBACK ON DA LA PASS

One night during the monsoon season I was in the 1st Mar. Div. Reaction Company. It was a miserable night. Cool and windy, it rained most of the night. We were on Da La Pass, opposite OP Reno.

In the morning I jumped on the first six-by leaving the pass. It was a muddy road. A Marine manned a 50-cal. on top of the truck. I stood, holding the side rail while I smoked a cigarette.

We were driving down off the pass when a rock ape jumped in front of the truck. He was an older ape with silver hair, about 4-1/2 feet tall and stocky. He squatted down and glared at me, the machine gunner, and the driver. Then four other apes jumped across the road behind him. One clutched a baby.

Once the others had crossed the road, the silverback disappeared into the jungle.

I told a couple of Marines about what I’d seen. They didn’t seem surprised. I had heard weird noises at night, but this was the first and only time I saw a rock ape. I read later they were rare.

Gerry Emerson
Dubuque, Iowa

printemailshare

-
November/December 2020September/October 2020July/August 2020May/June 2020March/April 2020January/February 2020November/December 2019September/October 2019July/August 2019May/June 2019March/April 2019January/February 2019November/December 2018September/October 2018July/August 2018May/June 2018March/April 2018January/February 2018
---
-Archives
| 2016 | 2015 | 2014
| 2012 | 2011 | 2010
| 2008 | 2007 | 2006
| 2004 | 2003 | 2002
|

----Find us on Facebook-Online Only:Arts of War on the Web
Book in Brief-
-

David Westphall Veterans Foundation

Bruce Berger (Fragments)

Mr. Paws

Ron Aldridge

Vietnam Battlefield Tours

Basic Training Photo Gallery
Basic Training Photo Gallery
2013 & 2014 APEX® Award Winner

Departments     University of Florida Smathers Libraries  
  - -      

VVA logoThe VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring, MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us

Geoffrey Clifford Mark F. Erickson Chuck Forsman