Vietnam Veterans of America  

The VVA Veteran® Online  
  homepipeAboutpipeArchivepipeSubscribepipeContactpipevva.orgVVA gifFacebookContact    

-
Treasurer’s Report, January/February 2023 -   -  

More on VVA Budget Requests and Financial Reports

Wishing everyone all the very best and great success in 2023. The prospect that we might turn back our clocks last November was a joyful one, however it seems this won’t be the last time America falls back and springs forward.

Perhaps Congress will revisit the issue this year and we can look forward to more light all year with Daylight Saving Time made permanent. I would be a welcome relief for folks who struggle through the annual retooling of life to a circadian rhythm twice a year. Breaking with this tradition promises a real payback of opportunity for enjoyment. As the saying goes, “Nothing is as sure as change.”

I want to apologize for the confusion that resulted from my column in the November/December issue about Financial Reports and Budget Requests. I admit there was plenty of room for confusion, which I attribute to the time between submitting columns and the publication of The Veteran. I would also add that I have not fully adapted to that timeline yet.

I received several calls about the confusion, and appreciate the questions posed. Since some chapters and state councils were not able to send their Financial Report (copies of the document filed with the state of jurisdiction) by the July deadline, President Jack McManus gave states an extension to January 1, 2023, to get the reports in. That message got confused with submitting Budget Requests, which were due on December 20, 2022. I invite you to address questions and requests for clarification to VVA’s Finance Department.

As VVA begins a new year, members can look forward to changes. Last month, I mentioned plans were in the works to help Board members and committee chairs formulate budgets for their expenses and funding plans for future projects and activities. The first session was held during the November VVA Board meeting.

With the help of Director of Finance Anthony Powell, Finance Committee Chair Dottie Barickman, and members of the Finance Committee, we presented a Budget Prep Workshop designed to help Cost Center Managers navigate VVA’s budget process.

The presentations were aimed at streamlining the budget process and taking some of the mystery out of how best to describe and clarify VVA budget requests. The workshop was rich with information and the discussion was spirited. It was well received and many questions were answered. In the process, we learned that some past practices, forms, and processes have changed or have been updated. It was clear that there is a need to present more budget workshops.

After some discussion, we decided to record the sessions so the information will be available anytime to members, chapter and state council treasurers, and National committee chairs. We also want to be able to address questions from chapters and state councils.

As VVA grassroots members better understand the process, we expect to see a less traumatic approach to submitting Budget Requests. Our intention is to develop a series of Virtual Training opportunities on the VVA Budget Request process by September.

printemailshare

-May/June 2022March/April 2022January/February 2022November/December 2021September/October 2021July/August 2021May/June 2021March/April 2021January/February 2021November/December 2020September/October 2020July/August 2020May/June 2020March/April 2020January/February 2020November/December 2019September/October 2019July/August 2019
---
-Archives
2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016
| 2014 | 2013 | 2012
| 2010 | 2009 | 2008
| 2006 | 2005 | 2004
| 2002 | 2001 | 2000

----Find us on Facebook-Online Only:Arts of War on the Web
Book in Brief-
-

Basic Training Photo Gallery
Basic Training Photo Gallery
2013 & 2014 APEX® Award Winner

Departments     University of Florida Smathers Libraries  
  - -      

VVA logoThe VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring, MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us

Geoffrey Clifford Mark F. Erickson Chuck Forsman