The VVA Veteran® Online
HomeAboutArchiveSubscribeContactvva.orgFacebookContact

January/February 2016

Locator

A VVA STAFF REPORT

Send your Locator and Reunion notices to Locator, The VVA Veteran, 8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring, MD 20910. Or email veteranlocator@vva.org or mkeating@vva.org. The Locator and Reunion services are provided without charge.

Looking for anyone who was in Cam Ranh Bay between 1966-67 with the 67th Engineer Detachment. Contact: Ron, ronwhittington@msn.com

Looking for a copy of the 1966 graduation picture from Ft. Campbell, Co. B, 10th Bn., 5th Bd., USATC, Armor, 1st U.S. Army. I graduated with McNutt, Chuck Lewinski (Ill.), Perso “Piggy” (Ill.), and Randal Laurence. We went to Ft. Knox for AIT and then to Vietnam. Contact: H. William, 575-621-1738; hlowilliam@yahoo.com

Trying to locate Capt. Al Ash and Capt. Wendel Cook. They both served at Phan Rang Airbase between 1968-69. Ash was an equipment officer and Cook was a pilot. Contact: Kevin Neilson, moho8@bigpond.com

Looking for information on a deceased Vietnam veteran, Darrell Meidinger. He was a Spec.5, MOS 91E, was stationed at Ft. Sam Houston from Nov. 1969-70 and at Fort Benning in 1971. Contact: Dan Thorstad, 701-241-5746; ThorstadD@casscountynd.gov

Looking for Michael Garvey from Indianapolis for a friend, Randy Jackson. Garvey served in the Army Infantry, 37th Bn., in Vietnam. On April 27, 1970, Jackson and Garvey were walking on either side of a tank when an explosion occurred. Jackson woke up two days later and was told that Garvey was killed, but his name is not on The Wall. Contact: Jim Emert, 870-926-0878; jlermert@gmail.com

Looking for Terry Cotton, from Jefferson, Ga., who I went to basic training with at Great Lakes from April-June 1966 and Storekeeper “A” School. Also, trying to find John P. Chapman, from Kansas City, who I served with in Chu Lai at Naval Support Activity Detachment, 1966-67. Contact: Robert Crowder, 434-610-7881; monroemidget1@verizon.net

Looking for Tom Quirk, who served as a Marine in Vietnam. He and I shared a room together at Dordt College in 1979. He gave me a keepsake that his father had given to him and I would like to return it. His last-known address was New Mexico. Contact: Gerry Vaandering, P.O. Box 761, Pouch Cove, NL A0A 3L0, Canada; gvaandering@hotmail.com 

Trying to locate anyone assigned to the AC-130 Environmental Control Systems Shop at UBON RTAFB, November 1971-72, and F-4s at UDORN, March 1974-76. I am filing an Agent Orange claim with the VA and would like to have statements from fellow ECS personnel stationed with me at these bases. Contact: Michael Abramo, 850-763-9373; mikeiabramo@aol.com 

Looking for Greg Boggs. We were in a Da Nang POW camp in the winter of 1969 and escaped when a Huey flew over the camp and the Vietnamese were busy trying to shoot it down. We were in the jungle for a week until they stopped looking for us. Once we made it back, we were separated. Contact: Larry Hertenstein, 740-884-4715; older_times@yahoo.com

I would like the name and contact information of anyone who might have taken a boat up the Mekong into Cambodia. I’m writing a book on the subject and would offer a favorable mention to anyone who could provide some insight on the Cambodian part of the Mekong. Contact: Tom Swinson, swinson@arvig.net

Looking for anyone who has a basic training yearbook with Theodore Moon’s photo in it. He had basic training at Ft. Dix in 1968 and was KIA in Vietnam in March 1969. VVA Chapter 42 requests a copy to honor him. Contact: Larry Gallagher, 77 Columbus Ave., Staten Island, NY 10304-4325; 718-815-6697; Emflgmn@aol.com

Trying to find Nick C. Flores (Calif). He and I were in Vietnam Sept. 1968-69 with the 48 Blue Stars AHC in the POL section. Contact: Jerry Simmelink, 262-339-9129 ©, 262-338-3592 (h); gerald.simmelink@att.net

Looking for the men I served with in the Inspector General’s office at Camp Casey, South Korea, from 1968-69. Contact: Oscar Stuckey III, 814-943-2000; sharptones@verizon.net

Trying to find Marvin Box, Terry Pack, or anyone else who served in the 2nd Transportation Co. at Qui Nhon, Phu Tai Valley, from Sept. 1967-68. Contact: Ron Williams, willie6768@gmail.com

Looking for authors writing books about Vietnam veterans’ war experiences. I was a scout dog handler in the First Cav. in 1970 and have medals for valor. Many people have told me I should write a book about my experiences, but I’m not a writer. Contact: Jim Meechan, 3057 Ervin Rd. N.W., Dover, OH 44622.

Trying to find anyone who served with David G. Campbell Murphy (“Campbell”) in E Co., 4th Inf. Div., in 1972. Contact: Eric J. Van Emmerik, 605-333-6896; dav.vbasux@va.gov

Looking for my father, Luis Pedro Gonzalez Chavez (Luis Gonzales), who is a veteran of the Korean or Vietnam War. The last I heard from him, he was living with a sister in El Paso, but he also has some family in California. Contact: María de Jesús Trejo Trejo, mtrejo@uacj.mx

Looking for anyone I served with as part of the 34th Tactical Fighter Group, Air Police Squadron, Bien Hoa, South Vietnam, especially Tom Johnson, Roger Huemann, Tom Jablon, Ken Arneson, Richard Watkins, and Bob Boswell. On Oct. 31- Nov. 1, a Viet Cong squad attacked our base and destroyed the majority of our planes, killing four and wounding more than seventy. Contact: Daryl Skare; 805-962-3966; dwskare@cox.net

Trying to locate Sgt. Mel Glenn, who I served with in Vietnam from 1965-66. Glenn was WIA in ’66 and then transferred to a hospital ship. Contact: Thomas Dogonski, tdogon@yahoo.com

Looking for anyone who served with Lima 3/7, 1st Plt., 1st Marine Div., in Quang Nam province as part of a reactionary force in 1968. We served under Lt. George Bolduc and Sgt. Lucero. Contact: Tommy, ttaylorr@bellsouth.net

Trying to find anyone who may have served with James Hinderliter. He was in the Air Force, E-3, special operations, 1961-62, working with the CIA on classified missions. His DD-214 says that he was with the 516th Orgn. Maint. Sq. (TAC), but we believe he was with 6994th AF Security Squadron. Contact: Cheryl Allen, 307-367-4877; allenc@sweet.wy.us

Looking for Staff Sgt. Harry Renfro and James Scarborough, with whom I was stationed at Cam Ranh Bay in 1971 in the 483rd Transportation Squadron. We were roommates when the bomb dump was blown up by satchel charges during the early morning hours. Contact: Vernon (Wally) Walentiny, 772-359-6653; walpatone@gmail.com

Trying to find veterans who witnessed UFO activity in Vietnam, particularly anyone involved in the attack on the Australian Destroyer HMAS Hobart II by unknown aircraft near Tiger Island on June 15, 1968. A scrambled aerial melee involving the 7th Air Force fighter-bombers chased the aircraft along the DMZ. Shortly afterward, U.S. Navy swift boats were attacked by unidentified aircraft nearby and one was destroyed by a missile. Two men died on the Hobart, five on the swift boat, and more were wounded in the attacks. Also, looking for anyone who witnessed a UFO over Nha Trang during an outdoor movie in June 1966 that caused all electronic equipment at the base to cease operating. Contact: Roy McMurphy, 240-543-3495; mcmurphyroy@yahoo.com

Trying to locate all Vietnam veterans who served with the NYC Fire Department, 1955-75. The department is looking to do something special for them in May. Contact: Ned Foote, 518-338-8147; nedvva@roadrunner.com

Trying to locate Capt. Bill Howerton, an Army QM officer (advisor) who served with me in MACV Team 16 in Quang Tin province in 1969. Would also enjoy hearing from other team members. Contact: Ken Derringer, P.O. Box 17, Hyattville, WY 82428; kcderringer@tctwest.net

Looking for information on an attack at Khe Sanh, March 23, 1971, particularly commanding officers with Troop D, 2nd Squadron, 17th Cav. Contact: Cindy Campbell, sccamp2@hotmail.com

Looking for members of the 557th Engineer Battalion, 1966-72. Contact: Jim Stevens, 704-363-5358; jrs562@aol.com

Looking for a photo of Jayne Mansfield sitting on my bed with me when she visited wounded soldiers in Cam Ranh Bay in 1966. Contact: Ron Rice, 651-778-8460; 747 East Belmont Ln., Maplewood, MN 55117

Looking for missing members of the “Fighting Deuce” 272nd MP Co., a small company that ran convoys, guns, jeeps, and POW camps throughout Vietnam under the 1FFV patch 1965-72. Usually attached to 101st Airborne and 1st Cav. units. Reunion planned for Sept. 15-17. Contact: Ron Raccioppi, 828-508-2724; Vietnam272nd@gmail.com; www.vietnam272nd.com

Trying to locate Capt. Spandau, captain of engineers. We went into Cambodia together in January 1970. Contact: Jay Scott, jayscott3@gmail.com

Looking for soldiers who served with me in B Btry., 4/42 Arty., 4th Inf. Div. between May 1968-69. Contact: Manuel R. Román, Jr., docrjr@sbcglobal.net

Trying to locate Michael Green, who is the author of many military-related books. Contact: Tim Kubica, tmkonmaui@hotmail.com

Looking for information about the bombing or artillery fire that destroyed the Cham religious site at My Son, west of Da Nang. Reports on how the site was destroyed vary widely. Contact: Thomas Bass, tbass@albany.edu

Looking for a Sgt. Buc Ward, a LLRP with the 101st Abn. Div. His team saved my platoon from a VC ambush in November 1970. I think he was from Indiana. Just want to know if he made it home. Contact: Josh Winkle, 904-731-6444.

Looking for info on a shipmate, C.W. Fortune, G Division, U.S.S. Coral Sea, CVA-43. “Nick” served aboard during the Vietnam cruises about 1964-67. Contact: John Willis, superchief2@att.net with “Veteran Locator” in the subject line.

Looking for Gary Buckner. We went through Basic and AIT together at Fort Dix and on to Fort Lewis and Cam Ranh Bay, where we were separated. It’s been 45 years and I would like to get together again. Also, looking for anyone who served in Co. B, 1st Bn., 6th Inf., 198th at Chu Lai, LZ Bayonet. Contact: Ron Dobiesz, rdobiesz1050@roadrunner.com

LTrying to locate those who served in the 632nd Combat Support Group at Binh Thuy Air Base in order to arrange a reunion. Also looking for some Binh Thuy service patches. Contact: John Tinsley, 800-922-1283; ttinsley@proinserv.com

Looking for any USAF veteran who served at Nakhon Phanom, Thailand, 1968-70. I am a veteran with several presumptive illnesses that I cannot file because I do not have buddy statements. Contact: Andy Dep, helpvetswashingtoncty@gmail.com

Looking for Big Joe or Bertram, who served with me in Vietnam with the 25th S&T Bn., Cu Chi, from 1968-70. Contact: Gary, garymichael_gary@aol.com

Looking for other Vietnam veterans I served with between 1969-70 who were attached to the 2/52nd ARVN battalion, particularly Sgt. John Maples and Lt. Mike DeOrlando. The captain in charge was Ron Quale. Contact: Tony O’Dowd, odubhda1946@gmail.com

Looking for Drill Sergeant Williams, D-2-2 BCT, Fort Lewis, January-April 1968. Contact: Jim Doyle, 11bravojim@gmail.com

Looking for Tony Thrush, Andrew Otto, David Kehler, McKilwayne Bishop,
Robert J. DeSilva or anyone who served at the headquarters of the 125th Air
Traffic Controllers Co. near Bien Hoa Air Base from April 1967-68. Contact: John Herrera, 928-472-4722; johnnycamanova45@gmail.com

Trying to locate Air Force Sgt. Ernest Umphlett who served at Tuy Hoa AFB with the 355th TAC Fighter Squadron in 1969. Contact: Ken Wentworth, 8009 Main St., Kansas City, MO 64114; pwentwo291@aol.com

Looking for John Campbell from Sacramento. We served together at Offutt Air Base and Binh Thuy, 1967-68. We both left the service in January 1969 while stationed at Offutt. Contact: Jim Barker, 2613 Aykens St., Appleton, WI 54915; jim.barker15@hotmail.com

Departments
Also: Courtesy Chapter 165Bellingham, Washington, Chapter 165:
Endowing the Future
The VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring. MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us