Vietnam Veterans of America  

The VVA Veteran® Online  
  homepipeAboutpipeArchivepipeSubscribepipeContactpipevva.orgVVA gifFacebookContact    

-
Directors’ Reports, September/December 2024 -   -  

I had the honor of attending the commemoration of the 25th anniversary of Rhode Island Chapter 818. It was heartwarming to see the current members, along with a few of the original members, come together for this milestone event. The celebration was hosted by VVA National Chaplain Father Phil Salois and State President Ernie Boisvert, who did a wonderful job of organizing the event.

Another meaningful connection this summer was my trip to Biddeford, Maine, where I visited Chapter 1044. President Joe Armstrong, along with his Executive Board and members, graciously invited me to attend their July 7 meeting. It had been some time since chapter members had direct contact with the Region, and I was eager to reestablish communications. The members expressed their enthusiasm about attending a Region 1 conference later this year, which is a positive step toward strengthening our ties.

Despite the Northeast losing some members to the so-called “snowbird” states, I am encouraged to see our chapters continue to recruit new members who are discovering VVA. The strength of our organization lies in local chapters’ ability to engage with the community, consistently being present at events that highlight their contributions. It’s crucial for VVA chapters to remain actively involved in commemorations such as Agent Orange Awareness Day and POW/MIA Recognition Day, ensuring that they are well-attended by the community, as well as veterans and their families.

Looking ahead, our Region 1 Conference is being planned for late September or early October, and I look forward to seeing many chapter members from across the Northeast come together for this important gathering.

This year, Region 2 proudly welcomed five chapters celebrating their 40th anniversaries. These chapters have reached a significant milestone, representing decades of dedication, camaraderie, and service to Vietnam War veterans. Congratulations to:

Chapter 72, Brooklyn, N.Y. – Incorporated on July 10, 1984

Chapter 77, Western N.Y. – Incorporated on July 10, 1984

Chapter 82, Nassau County, N.Y. – Incorporated on July 10, 1984

Chapter 85, Oneonta, N.Y. – Incorporated on June 14, 1984

Chapter 131, Reading, Pa. – Incorporated on February 5, 1984

These chapters have been pillars of support in their communities for four decades, providing essential services, advocacy, and a sense of belonging for countless veterans and their families. We applaud their ongoing commitment and look forward to their continued contributions to VVA and their communities.

The American Veteran Traveling Tribute visited Wappingers Falls, N.Y., September 18-22. This moving tribute provided a powerful reminder of the sacrifices made by the nation’s veterans.

I want to draw attention to a meaningful opportunity offered by the Western New York National Cemetery Memorial Council. They respectfully invite VVA members to donate their treasured interment flags to the Avenue of Flags. This act of remembrance ensures that your loved one’s memory, along with the memories of all departed veterans, will be honored. The flags will fly proudly, symbolizing the enduring legacy of those who served the nation.

To contribute to the Avenue of Flags, contact Mark Janik, Chair of the Avenue of Flags Committee at Lakeside Memorial Funeral Home at 716-627-2919, or email mark@lakesidefuneralhome.com

Region 2 remains strong and vibrant, with each chapter playing a vital role in maintaining the spirit and mission of VVA. I encourage all members to stay active, participate in upcoming events, and continue to support one another as we honor the legacy of all who served.

In early August, I had the privilege of attending a Purple Heart dinner and ceremony, in which forty recipients, most of them from the Vietnam War, were honored. The event featured a wonderful social hour that allowed us to share stories, reconnect with old comrades, and even help a few find long-lost friends. The room was filled with hundreds of patrons, all eager to applaud the decorated Vietnam War veterans, as well as a few veterans from other conflicts. It was a moving experience that underscored the enduring bond among those of us who served.

In August, I was invited to visit three of the states in Region 3, which is always an honor. I also met a Vietnam War veteran who has expressed interest in helping to create a new VVA chapter. The possibility of expanding our reach and forming a new chapter is always exciting and speaks to the vitality of our organization.

I am sure that the National Leadership Conference presented everyone who attended with many opportunities to engage, learn, and bring valuable information back to our state presidents and their chapters. VVA consistently excels in using its members and others to deliver insightful and informative seminars, all presented in a personal and impactful manner.

In closing, I want to emphasize that VVA continues to grow and expand its membership. Even as we age, we maintain the spirit and determination of our younger selves—still holding onto that 20-year-old attitude. Our mission remains strong, and our commitment to supporting one another is unwavering.

As we approach the last quarter of the year, it’s a great time to reflect back on our progress and to look ahead.

The elections for state councils and chapters have concluded, setting the stage for the next year or two. In Region 4, we welcome new State Council Presidents Gary Newman in Florida and Bill Martin in Georgia. The remaining state council presidents were re-elected for another term, including Jorge Pedrosa in Puerto Rico, Wayne Reynolds in Alabama, and Chuck Odom in Mississippi. Many of our chapters also have new officers ready to support their leadership going forward. Congratulations to all our newly elected and re-elected officers.

A special note of appreciation goes out to Gary Coyetta, who recently stepped down as president of Georgia Chapter 1030 after eight years of dedicated service. His retirement was celebrated with a memorable party attended by VVA President Jack McManus, Georgia AVVA President Susan Henthorn, State Council Vice President Bill Martin, State Council Secretary Don Brown, State Council Treasurer Larry Batten, and myself. It was an honor to express our gratitude to Gary Coyetta for his excellent leadership and guidance.

As we look back on the recent VVA Leadership & Education Conference, I’d like to extend a big thank you to the committee responsible for planning and preparing this important event. Those who attended returned with valuable insights and knowledge, better equipped to fulfill their roles in VVA and AVVA.

Florida continues to lead the charge in membership, currently holding second place nationally with more than 5,890 members. Florida’s AVVA is also a strong contender, consistently ranking in the top two for membership each month. Congratulations to Florida Chapter 1036 for moving into first place among all chapters.

Florida’s AVVA membership is now at 796, placing them in third nationally. Georgia is also making strides, with a new AVVA chapter recently chartered in Hinesville and plans underway for additional chapters. Susan Henthorn is stepping down as Georgia AVVA state president after many years of productive service, with Brenda Nix stepping into the role. Be sure to thank both of them, along with AVVA National President Sharon Hobbs, AVVA Region 4 Director Mary Ann Newman, and all the AVVA members for their unwavering support of VVA.

Hurricane Debby recently swept through Region 4, causing significant flooding in Florida, soaking Georgia, and continuing through Region 3. Florida was hit the hardest, so if you’re able to offer assistance, please reach out to Gary Newman, Florida State Council President, at 904-269-1857.

Looking ahead, we are planning a Region 4 get-together for the Spring of 2025. More details will be in the next issue.

Congratulations to the following recently re-elected Region 5 state presidents: Mike Dolan in Indiana; Fred Barks in Illinois; and Richard Arthur in Ohio. Their continued leadership is a testament to the trust and respect they have earned in their states.

I had the pleasure of attending the annual Ohio General Membership meeting on June 28 and 29, an event that was also attended by VVA Vice President Tom Burke. The highlight of the meeting was the presence of Miss America 1972, Laurel Lea Schaefer-Bozoukoff. An exceptional speaker, she brought the room to life with her words and was a fitting guest of honor, having received the VVA President’s Award for Entertaining the Troops in Vietnam at the last Convention.

Tom Burke and I had the privilege of serving as observers during the election vote counting, ensuring that the process was conducted smoothly and transparently. A special thanks to Tammy Sigman, the Buckeye State Council Administrator, for her flawless orchestration of the meeting. Every detail was meticulously planned, and everything went off without a hitch.

Though Minnesota no longer has an official state council, it’s important to note that several chapters in the state remain very active. One is Chapter 470 in Anoka. Later this year, they will dedicate a chapter monument, a tribute to the many activities and contributions they’ve made to their community over the years.

Kansas has been buzzing with activity. State Council President Roland Mayhew has shared several photos with me, showcasing veterans’ events they have hosted recently. These events reflect the vibrant spirit and dedication of our members in Kansas, who continue to uphold VVA’s mission with great energy and enthusiasm.

In June, I had the privilege of attending one of the many 35th anniversary celebrations taking place this year, along with Director At Large Richard Lindbeck. This celebration was held by Wisconsin Chapter 351 in Appleton.

The chapter has put together an impressive array of display cases that they take to area high schools for historical presentations on the Vietnam War. Along with these displays, chapter members share their histories, providing students with a deeply personal and educational experience. They are also working on creating an AV version of their program, which will allow schools to participate in this important educational initiative remotely.

I am pleased to report that Region 8 is thriving. Leadership changes in Idaho and Oregon have brought new energy and direction: Paul Sherman in Idaho and Jaycee Newman in Oregon are the newly elected state presidents. Both bring a wealth of knowledge and a proactive, can-do attitude. I have no doubt they will lead their states to increased membership and further the mission of Vietnam Veterans of America with dedication and resolve.

In Alaska, President Craig Wade has informed me of an exciting development: the state VVA Veterans Service Officer program has been expanded, as one more officer has been added, bringing the total to five. I’ve had the privilege of meeting with these individuals, and I can attest to their unwavering commitment to helping their fellow veterans and their families.

In Idaho, President Paul Sherman, along with many chapter members, is working with approximately 600 organizations and the Idaho Division of Veterans Services through the Joining Forces Program. This initiative provides veterans and their families in crisis with solutions such as assistance with rent, car and home repairs, gas cards, and food cards. The collaboration ensures that all chapters and the Idaho State Council will be involved in this program now and into the future. The state council meeting in Burley, on September 14 included discussions on improving communication and fostering greater inclusion of all members.

Montana chapters have also been active, focusing on fundraising and increasing membership. SC President Chuck Renevier continues to lead by example, encouraging chapters to remain engaged with their members and projects. Chapter 1087 will celebrate its 11th anniversary in September and recently held a successful annual fireworks sales fundraiser.

Bitterroot Chapter 938 completed their Vietnam Veterans Memorial and celebrated their 20th anniversary in July. Southwest Montana Chapter 788 hosted their 8th annual Vietnam Veterans Golf Tournament and marked their 27th anniversary on September 3. Glendive Chapter 234 celebrated its 40th anniversary on September 18.

In Oregon, newly elected SC Vice President Bill Duncan has shared the impressive activities of Roseburg Chapter 805. This year, they awarded fourteen $750 scholarships to students in Douglas County. The chapter has also been actively displaying the Traveling Wall throughout Oregon, including a new venue at the Veterans Home in The Dalles. Another noteworthy project involves replacing worn-out American flags at high schools, making it a senior class responsibility.

The chapter has organized presentations on the History of the Vietnam War at Sutherlin High School. Working closely with AVVA, the chapter Honor Guard has provided services for more than 120 veterans. They continue to maintain an office at the Roseburg VA campus, offering support to veterans in need.

In Washington, Bellingham Chapter 165 held its 13th annual Car Show on June 21, under the leadership of Duane “Doc” Holliday. The event featured 350 vehicles, and 24 trophies were awarded. The show was a tremendous success, raising thousands of dollars to fund projects such as building wheelchair ramps, providing clothing, assisting with bills, and improving the lives of veterans and their families in Whatcom County.

On August 3, Sedro Woolley, Washington, hosted the 8th annual Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans gathering. This well-attended event included a car show, food, and entertainment. We extend our thanks to Ande Mitchell and Chapter 1109 for hosting another successful event.

President Richard Mathison and the members of Sno-King Chapter 423 held their Annual Family Purple Heart Potluck Barbecue on August 11 in Everett, Washington. This event honored all Purple Heart recipients, with a special focus on Vietnam War veterans.

Finally, I want to highlight the work of Washington’s Chief Service Officer Jeannie Ebert, who was involved with a VSO seminar at the National Leadership & Education Conference in Reno. She also will conduct training for VVA VSOs in Ocean Shores from October 8-10. We are immensely proud of her and our VVA VSO program, which continues to be recognized as the top program in the nation.

One of my primary goals for 2024 is to increase the number of chapters in each state in Region 9. This can best be achieved through active recruitment of new members, and I am pleased to report that we’ve made significant progress. We have started two new chapters, one in Colorado and one in California. This is just the beginning, and we will continue to work diligently, ensuring that our organization grows and thrives.

With more than 10,000 VVA members in Region 9, staying in touch with state councils, chapters, and individual members is a challenge, but it’s one I take seriously. Visiting the state councils is a rewarding experience, as it allows me to support them in their efforts and ensures that their VVA experience is as successful as possible.

Recently, I visited the New Mexico State Council, where members of all six chapters were in attendance. The primary focus of our discussions was the possibility of starting another chapter in the state, an exciting prospect that I fully support.

I encourage everyone to stay safe, stay well, and take the time to check in on your buddies. Let’s also renew our efforts to attend meetings regularly and to recruit new members who can bring fresh energy and ideas to our organization.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me at dick.southern@gmail.com — I look forward to hearing from you.

AT-LARGE

June 6, 2024, was a momentous day. Our nation commemorated the 80th anniversary of D-Day, the Normandy invasion in France, and the day also marked the dedication of the Nebraska Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Papillion. We chose this date to align with the D-Day anniversary, bringing together family and friends to remember multiple generations of men and women who have touched our lives. Our freedom was not simply given, but earned.

It was a great honor to stand shoulder to shoulder with the NVVM board, which was composed of Vietnam War veterans, modern war veterans, and family members profoundly affected by the dedication, sacrifice, and patriotism of their loved ones. Together, we stood united in our mission to dedicate a lasting memorial to the Nebraskans who answered the call, as well as to the families who were left behind to worry and wonder if their lives would ever be the same.

The dedication day was an emotional whirlwind, filled with many comments from those who attended that the memorial’s purpose and mission exceeded expectations. We welcomed visitors, including many veterans, from many states who traveled far to attend the dedication. Some war veterans stood quietly in the shadows. A simple nod, a pat on the back, and a handshake were all that was needed to convey the message. “We salute you.”

A special thank you to VVA President Jack McManus, Vice President Tom Burke, and Managing Director Phil Waite for attending. Jack McManus, a guest speaker, was gracious in mingling with our donors, strategic partners, VVA members and friends. His presence, along with the others, left a lasting impression, with many expressing their appreciation for VVA’s leadership weeks after the event.

Thank you for your support. If you have any comments, questions, or concerns, feel free to contact me at drbarickman@hotmail.com or 712-314-1808 (cell/text).

AT-LARGE

As you read this, the Leadership Conference in Reno is in the history books. There were several sessions that dealt with the future of VVA. I encourage all members to stay updated on that topic as it will continue to be discussed, including at the 2025 National Convention in New Orleans.

Congratulations to the ten newly elected state council presidents. Thank you for stepping up to help make VVA a great veterans organization. I am looking forward to meeting with you during the Board meeting in October in Silver Spring. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me and I will help any way I can.

If you have not received the State Presidents Welcome Guide, you can find one on the VVA website at https://vva.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/CSCP-Welcome0424.pdf. It contains information you need to make flight and hotel reservations for travel. It is a great resource.

In early June I traveled to Marquette, Michigan, for the Michigan State Council meeting. It was like a homecoming for me. It was great spending time with Medal of Honor recipient Jim “Doc” McCloughan. He is a very interesting individual and gave an outstanding speech at the meeting. Thank you, Michigan State Council for inviting me.

Later that month, I attended Appleton, Wisconsin’s 35th Anniversary event. They did an outstanding job in putting the program together. This is a good time to let everyone know what VVA is about.

I met with Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs at the Experimental Aircraft Association headquarters in Oshkosh. We discussed the programs WDVA is working on, and after the meeting we were given a tour of the association’s military displays. There is a Vietnam War Huey on display and Vietnam veterans are encouraged to sign their names on one of its doors. It was a real honor to do so.

printemailshare

-September/October 2024July/August 2024May/June 2024March/April 2024January/February 2024November/December 2023September/October 2023July/August 2023May/June 2023March/April 2023January/February 2023November/December 2022September/October 2022July/August 2022May/June 2022March/April 2022January/February 2022November/December 2021
---
-Archives
2024 | 2023 | 2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010

----Find us on Facebook-Online Only:Arts of War on the Web
Book in Brief-
-

Basic Training Photo Gallery
Basic Training Photo Gallery
2013 & 2014 APEX® Award Winner

Departments     University of Florida Smathers Libraries  
  - -      

VVA logoThe VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring, MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us

Geoffrey Clifford Mark F. Erickson Chuck Forsman