Vietnam Veterans of America  

The VVA Veteran® Online  
  homepipeAboutpipeArchivepipeSubscribepipeContactpipevva.orgVVA gifFacebookContact    

-
September/October 2024 -   -  

History of the POW/MIA Bracelets

In the fall of 1972, while serving in the Army in Germany, I noticed a group of women and children handing out bracelets, pins, and literature at the Frankfurt PX. Upon closer inspection, I saw my first POW bracelet. I also saw a small button with a version of a smiley face. However, there was no smile, but a frown. In bold black letters, in a circle around the outside were the words, “POWS NEVER HAVE A NICE DAY.”

The bracelets were silver and had names of service members who were unaccounted for in the Vietnam War. A donation jar sat on the card table where the bracelets, buttons, and literature were displayed. Service members and families crowded around the table. I was shocked that the MPs hadn’t received orders from some irritated officer to have the group disperse and the table removed. But just the opposite was happening.

Uniformed and non-uniformed personnel, spouses, schoolchildren, and possibly German citizens were eager to get the items. I wasn’t sure how wearing a bracelet was going to be handled by the Army. Would restrictions be placed according to Army Command Policy? Would bracelets be considered “excessive jewelry”?

As it happens, the history of these bracelets held even more complicated questions and concerns than I had in my head at that moment.

FROM CONCEPT TO REALITY  

POW bracelets were conceived in 1969 by Carol Bates and fellow California State University, Northridge student Kay Hunter as a way to remind others of American POWs in captivity in Southeast Asia. Bates was the chair of the POW/MIA Bracelet Campaign for VIVA (Voices in Vital America, originally, the Victory in Vietnam Association), a student organization that would go on to produce and distribute the bracelets. Bob Hope and Martha Raye served as honorary co-chairs of VIVA, but the path the bracelets would take from concept to reality would require some further help.

Enter television personality and future Congressman Bob Dornan. In late 1969, six years before his successful run for Congress, Dornan suggested modifying Montagnard friendship bracelets to ones bearing the names of missing American servicemembers as a way to call attention to their plight.

Dornan had a close connection to this project: A former Air Force fighter pilot, Dornan’s good friend, Col. David Hrdlicka was a POW held by communist Pathet Lao forces after his F-105D Thunderchief was shot down in Laos. Dornan kept his friend close to mind by wearing a Montagnard bracelet he had obtained in Vietnam.

Dornan introduced Carol Bates, Kay Hunter, and several other VIVA members to the wives of three missing pilots, who asked for their help in drawing public attention to the MIA and POW issues. Hunter then began to explore ways to make bracelets. She dropped out of VIVA, and so Carol Bates, another student, Steve Frank, and their adviser, Gloria Coppin, began looking for ways to set up the bracelet program. Funding the design and production was the main issue. Luckily, an engraver in Santa Monica agreed to make 10 sample bracelets.

The three then tried to raise funds for the production and distribution of the bracelets. They approached Ross Perot, the Texas entrepreneur who was a strong backer of the POW/MIA cause, several times, but were rebuffed.

Then, in 1970, Gloria Coppin’s husband donated enough brass and copper to make 1,200 bracelets. VIVA signed an agreement with the Santa Monica engraver to make the bracelets and agreed to reimburse him with donations. They began selling the nickel-plated bracelets for $2.50 and copper bracelets for $3.

At the suggestion of local POW/MIA families, members of VIVA attended the National League of Families of Americans Missing in Southeast Asia’s second annual meeting in Washington, D.C., in late September 1970, where they met many wives and parents interested in the idea. Dornan continued to publicize the issue on his Los Angeles television talk show and promoted the bracelets.

On Veterans Day, November 11, 1970, VIVA officially kicked off the bracelet program with a big news conference at the Universal Sheraton Hotel in Los Angeles. On hand for the event, which was arranged by the model and actress Rosemarie Bowe Stack, the wife of the actor Robert Stack, were a handful of Hollywood actors, Los Angeles Dodgers star pitcher Don Drysdale, several POW wives, and former POW Bob Frishman.

Public response quickly grew and VIVA began getting more than 12,000 orders a day. The program produced revenue to pay for brochures, bumper stickers, buttons, advertising, and other media materials to publicize the POW and MIA issues.

During its existence, VIVA sold nearly five million bracelets along with millions of bumper stickers, buttons, brochures, and matchbooks, and placed newspaper ads to draw attention to the missing troops in Vietnam. VIVA closed its doors in 1976.

Still, in 1972, when I saw that table of bracelets, pins, and literature, I took notice. I put a donation in the jar, got a button (which I still have today), and a bracelet with the name “CAPT LAWRENCE VICTOR FRIESE, USMC, N. VIETNAM, 2-24-68.”

I wore that bracelet every day from then on. I made it home from combat. I found out many years later that Capt. Friese came home on March 14, 1973, one of 591 American POWs who returned from captivity following the signing of the Paris Peace Accords during Operation Homecoming between February 12 and April 1, 1973.

I now have a replacement bracelet engraved, “STAFF SERGEANT WILLIAM M. LOGAN, USA, 2-16-69, SVN.” And this bracelet never comes off.

printemailshare

-September/October 2024July/August 2024May/June 2024March/April 2024January/February 2024November/December 2023September/October 2023July/August 2023May/June 2023March/April 2023January/February 2023November/December 2022September/October 2022July/August 2022May/June 2022March/April 2022January/February 2022November/December 2021
---
-Archives
2024 | 2023 | 2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010

----Find us on Facebook-Online Only:Arts of War on the Web
Book in Brief-
-

Basic Training Photo Gallery
Basic Training Photo Gallery
2013 & 2014 APEX® Award Winner

Departments     University of Florida Smathers Libraries  
  - -      

VVA logoThe VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring, MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us

Geoffrey Clifford Mark F. Erickson Chuck Forsman