The VVA Veteran® Online
HomeAboutArchiveSubscribeContactvva.orgFacebookContact

Economic Opportunities Committee Report, May/June 2013

The Missing Piece

BY FRANK BARRY, CHAIR

FRANK BARRY, ©Michael KeatingOn March 22 I had the honor of appearing on a panel at the North Orange County Community College District’s Hire a Vet event. The topic was: “Jobs for Veterans: The Missing Piece.” On the panel with me were: Jose Anaya of the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office Workforce and Economic Development, Sallie Salinas from the Orange County One-Stop Center, and John B. Kelsall of the Jonas Project. Kelsall’s son Jonas, a Navy SEAL, was killed in Afghanistan in 2011.

The panel identified the missing piece as the veteran—and how to get the word out to veterans about all the services and resources available to them. Many VSO representatives in the audience expressed frustration at not being able to reach veterans who need their services the most.

After the panel I had the opportunity to walk around the exhibit area and talk to exhibitors representing community colleges, workforce investment boards, one-stop centers, apprenticeship programs, and other organizations serving veterans and military families.

The NOCCCD has a grant to train a hundred veterans in advanced competitive technologies, including machine, printing, and welding technologies with job placement as CNC machinists, flexographic printers, or welders. The training is done through Fullerton College. There is no cost to the veterans, and they do not have to use their GI Bill funds.

Those in the Orange County, California, area who know veterans who need training should contact Norma A. Alvarado at 714-808-4611 or nalvarado@sce.edu.

Let’s add that missing piece to the puzzle so that our veterans know the resources available to them. Here is an economic opportunity. Let’s get the word out.

Departments
Also:
Tuned In To Veterans’ Needs Recognized At Last
The VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring. MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us