The VVA Veteran® Online
HomeAboutArchiveSubscribeContactvva.orgFacebookContact

January/February 2013

Region 2 Report

BY HERB WORTHINGTON, DIRECTOR

HERB WORTHINGTON, ©Michael KeatingThis was a very busy fall season, and there is no sign of it slowing down in Region 2. With Hurricane Sandy destroying the shoreline in New Jersey, causing problems in Pennsylvania and Delaware, and damaging Staten Island and parts of Long Island, it is hard to believe we are still here. I know some of you have applied for aid through the VVA Disaster Relief Fund and have received help from your local chapters and state councils.

I consider myself lucky to have only lost electricity for ten days. Some are still living in shelters or have been put up by FEMA in hotels. I want to thank all of you who have given so much to help those who are without. As Vietnam veterans and veterans’ families, we know how to adapt and continue to fight. That is what we have done in the past; that is what we will do in the future.

The year 2013 brings new challenges in the form of the Convention in Florida. I am hoping you will all go to the Convention and pull me aside to discuss your chapters. Although it has the largest number of members, Region 2 handles most of its problems within its chapters and state councils. As we all get older, it is natural for us to become a little anxious or disagreeable about things, but we all have that common bond of being Vietnam veterans.

Unfortunately, we are no longer the young, angry veterans on the block. In many ways the VA and Congress considers us old men and woman veterans, but we can still cause some disruption in Washington and our state capitals. So, I need you all to make a New Year’s resolution that you will sign up at least one more person as a member of VVA or AVVA and that you will continue to fight for your rights and those of all the other veterans, because that is what we do.

Departments
Also:
Daniel Inouye,
1924-2012
A new flag for
Mid-Michigan Chapter 1047
The VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring. MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us