, The VVA Veteran, a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America ,
  Vietnam Veterans of America  

The VVA Veteran® Online  
  homepipeAboutpipeArchivepipeSubscribepipeContactpipevva.orgVVA gifFacebookContact    

-
Treasurer’s Report, July/August 2023 -   -  

Time to Think About VVA's 2025 Budget

Prior to the April Board of Directors meeting, I joined the Finance Committee and the Director of Finance for a scheduled, open session for Board members and committee chairs, which included a question-and-answer period, as well as open discussion of VVA’s 2024 proposed budget.

The meeting was an important opportunity to clarify items and intent in formulating the budget. Setting aside time for these questions prior to the meeting proved to be a valuable step in the process. The meeting was well attended, and many questions and concerns were addressed so that all could hear and know the various line items and assigned funding. This was time well spent. Most importantly, approval of the 2024 Budget was unanimously passed by the Board of Directors with little discussion.

After completing the process, we realized that this pre-budget session averted a “Parliamentary Polka" of motions, time, and doubts. At the same time, the transparency of this approach provided an opportunity to address all questions before a vote of the Board. As VVA moves forward, I recommend that this pre-budget session be adopted as a best practice and become part of the normal process of approving VVA’s budgets.

On a personal note, Memorial Day has always been an important time for me. Growing up in the small town of Wadsworth, Ohio, Memorial Day was the only time we had a parade. Eventually my whole family (Dad, Mom, me, my sisters Pat and Janet, and brothers Tim and Terry) marched with the Scouts. The route started at the town square and ended at the cemetery, where the names of Wadsworth veterans who had died since the last Memorial Day were read aloud. This was followed by volleys from the Honor Guard, and last of all, the playing of “Taps.” Of course, there was a scramble for the spent cartridges from the salute. Little did we know that in a few short years, we would be burying some of those same boys then diving for the spent cartridges.

Norwich

This year I joined other members of Chapter 270 for the Norwich, Connecticut, Memorial Day parade. I rode with Army Maj. Chris Coutu and his daughters Gabriella and Alexandria. The girls held placards with the words "Normandy" and "Utah," which have great significance for me. I shared the story of my father, chief boatswain mate Robert Spoonster, aboard the U.S.S. Susan B. Anthony on D-Day. While attempting to disembark her cargo, the shit hit a mine and sank. My father was MIA for several weeks. The story brought many questions; it also gave Normandy and Utah a new meaning for them.

printemailshare

-May/June 2022March/April 2022January/February 2022November/December 2021September/October 2021July/August 2021May/June 2021March/April 2021January/February 2021November/December 2020September/October 2020July/August 2020May/June 2020March/April 2020January/February 2020November/December 2019September/October 2019July/August 2019
---
-Archives
2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016
| 2014 | 2013 | 2012
| 2010 | 2009 | 2008
| 2006 | 2005 | 2004
| 2002 | 2001 | 2000

----Find us on Facebook-Online Only:Arts of War on the Web
Book in Brief-
-

Basic Training Photo Gallery
Basic Training Photo Gallery
2013 & 2014 APEX® Award Winner

Departments     University of Florida Smathers Libraries  
  - -      

VVA logoThe VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring, MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us

Geoffrey Clifford Mark F. Erickson Chuck Forsman