Vietnam Veterans of America
The VVA Veteran® Online
homepipeAboutpipeArchivepipeSubscribepipeContactpipevva.orgVVA gifFacebookContact
-
November/December 2019
-

Letters

FIRST HONORS

In 1983 members of Delaware County, Pennsylvania, Chapter 67 told Congressman Bob Edgar that Guy Bluford was getting positive publicity not just for being a Shuttle crew member from Philadelphia, but also for being a fighter pilot in Vietnam. Rep. Edgar invited Chapter 67 and Philadelphia chapter members to a congressional reception to meet him. At that reception we gave a VVA membership and a welcome home to Guy Bluford.

It was great to be one of the first to honor him for his service to our country.

Jim Ulmer
By Email 

TO BE OR NOT TO BE

I read with interest the September/October articles related to the 19th Convention in Spokane. For me, the obvious elephant in the room was the resolution regarding the very future of the organization. Putting this issue in the simplest of terms, do we shut off the lights and lock the door, or do we reorganize into yet another generic, non-specific veterans organization?

My concern relates to how the decision was made. I understand that polling of chapter delegates attending the Convention is taken; and in a perfect world, with perfect attendance by delegates who represent the totality of the VVA membership, that’s fine. In reality, however, many chapters have experienced a severe downturn in membership, attendance, and general involvement. The end result is that those chapters either do not have a current designated delegate, or the delegate simply cannot attend the Convention for financial, health, or personal reasons. That doesn’t make the members of those unrepresented chapters any less dedicated to the organization and what it stands for. In this case, it just doesn’t allow their voices to be heard.

One example: New York State, with over 6,200 members in 33 chapters, has a total of 125 authorized chapter delegates. Only 61 delegates (48.8 percent) were able to attend and have their voices heard at the Convention this year. Since there is no official tally or record kept of the “stand and be counted” vote on this issue, I question President Rowan’s statement, “Despite some strong concerns from some of those in attendance, 72 percent of the delegates voted to approve a resolution charging the Officers.”

Seventy-two percent of delegates that represent some number less than 100 percent of VVA membership may not necessarily reflect the wishes of a majority of all VVA members, only those who were physically able to attend. Mathematically, at least 70 percent of the total possible VVA delegates would have had to attend the Convention and be counted as part of that 72 percent approval number in order to reach a majority approval of only 50.4 percent.

Let me be clear: This is by no means Monday morning quarterbacking. President Rowan has provided exceptional leadership to VVA and its members throughout these many years. He has stood and fought the good fight on our behalf time and time again, and all VVA members owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude for all he has accomplished.

That said, in a matter of importance such as the very future of the organization itself, I would have preferred to see a true and accurate representation of the opinion and wishes of as many VVA members as possible. A ballot made available for printing online to all chapter delegates with a request to print, complete and return to National for tally is one thought.

In my mind, the polling of the grassroots membership of the VVA organization through all chapter delegates is the only way to determine the true wishes of the majority on such a critical issue.

Ray Sestak
By Email

The VVA Constitution (Article 1, Section 6) states that the “National Convention shall be the highest authority of the Corporation.” The delegates to the Convention are authorized by the Constitution to speak for all members of VVA whether directly represented at the Convention or not. President Rowan’s statement of the percentage voting in favor of the stated resolution was correctly based on the number of delegates attending the Convention.

—Leslie DeLong, Constitution Committee

INCIDENT RESOLUTION

I read “Incident at Phu Bai” and wanted to respond. When incidents like this occur, the units involved write them up in their morning reports, which are archived at the National Archives in St. Louis. He can ask for these reports, but he will have to allow a three-month window.

I did recognize a flaw in his account of the bullets coming from the M16 exiting the building included tracer rounds. In my time in the Army in Vietnam, I don’t remember being given tracer rounds to load, or if they were even available for the M16. The 60-cal. had them, I think every fifth round.

I had to obtain morning reports to collaborate my claim, so if he hasn’t gone that route, that’s where he should start.

Leendert Van Driel
Blue Eye, Missouri

INCARCERATED BENEFITS

Incarcerated veterans with a Veterans Affairs rating are only entitled to receive 10 percent (not 20 percent as printed on page 35 of “Navigating the VA Widow’s Benefits Maze” in the July/August issue) on their 61st day of incarceration. Please inform veterans of this correct information immediately.

Charles G. Bohlinger, 3rd
By Email

The article read: “Although incarcerated veterans receive only 20 percent of benefits, 80 percent can go to family apportionment.” Here’s a more accurate statement: “Incarcerated veterans rated at 20 percent or more receive only the 10 percent disability rate, while the remainder can be apportioned to a qualifying dependent. Veterans rated at 10 percent are only paid half; the balance can go to family apportionment.” —Editor

A GOOD PERSON

Honoring Veterans Who Once Lived Among Us,” the Parting Shot piece about cleaning veterans’ gravestones, presented a great and worthwhile endeavor.

Dale Reich identified himself as a retired history teacher, but that is just one of his accomplishments. He is a Vietnam veteran and author of Rockets Like Rain, which tracks his experiences during his tour of duty. He has also self-published short stories, poetry, and most recently, a series of children’s books. Dale is a service-minded individual in his church, veterans groups, and the communities in which he has lived.

To sum up, he is not just a retired history teacher; he is a well-rounded good person.

John McIntyre
By Email

WHY WE DO IT

When I was a grunt in the 101st, we in the field did what we needed to do and did not have time to ask why. We never received a pat on the back for doing a good job; we only survived and went home. 

Well, we made it home. We have created chapters that reach out to local veterans and keep them in the fold. We have many people in our local groups who work very hard and dedicate a lot of time to make the chapters survive and strengthen. To maintain a chapter and to grow in these times, with a shrinking base of members, can only be done through the hard work of a small group of people.

Chapter 899 in Bordentown, New Jersey, received awards for VVA Chapter of the Year and VVA Newsletter of the Year at the National Convention, which shows that this small group of people is working hard.

The plaques were hung on the wall at the September meeting, and a one-line mention from Regional Director Ted Wilkinson on page 22 of the last issue will be enough for us. It would have been respectful to the awardees to list all awards in our publication.

Alan Kirchoff
By Email

The challenge of every issue is shoehorning as much information as possible into a finite amount of space. But Alan Kirchoff’s complaint is valid, and behind each of the national awards is an enormous amount of work. We salute the awardees and all those considered for these honors. —Editor

TONGUE THAI’D

The latest issue of The Veteran neglected to publicize or promote support for two bills before Congress for Thailand veterans of the Vietnam War. The bills, H.R.2201 and S.1381, would put Thailand veterans on even par with in-country and Blue Water Navy vets as it concerns presumptive illnesses due to exposure to toxic herbicides.

To date, only 16 percent of those applying for compensation due to their exposure while serving in Thailand as direct-support or flight crews during the Vietnam War have been approved for their benefits. Same maladies, same suffering, yet no compensation or care.

Why is mention of these bills lacking in reports from the National Convention? Why are they not mentioned in the Agent Orange Committee Report?

An ongoing campaign, Operation Orange Envelope, sent thousands of letters in orange envelopes to members of the U.S. Senate and House. Most were posted on September 12, and most arrived in D.C. the same day. This campaign highlights the fight for equal care and equal compensation afforded other Vietnam War veterans. The two bills, H.R.2201 and S.1381, need publicity and support.

Tom Hritz
Gainesville, Georgia

RIGHTING AN INJUSTICE

I am a life member of VVA. I served in Vietnam as a Marine Security Guard in Saigon from December 1973-74.

The current cutoff date for the Vietnam Service Ribbon is March 28, 1973. In addition, those who participated in the evacuation from April 29-30, 1975, were deemed eligible several years ago after lobbying by several veterans organizations.

I, along with many other Marines and other servicemembers, served in Vietnam for a year or more. However, those of us with service after March 28, 1973, but before April 28, 1975, are ineligible for the Vietnam Service Medal. Although I respect everyone’s service, it seems unfair that someone offshore for the two-day evacuation is eligible for the Vietnam Service Medal, but those of us who spent an entire year or more are not.

I am writing to respectfully ask that VVA look into this matter and help to rectify this injustice.

Jeff Harbin
By Email

LIES & CORRUPTION

I am a registered nurse and an Air Force veteran who served as a triage nurse at the 20th Casualty Staging Unit at Yokota Air Base during the Vietnam War. I had the honor of caring for wounded servicemen coming from Vietnam. My thoughts of those days stir memories of my childhood and the values instilled in me by my immigrant parents.

My parents emigrated from Yugoslavia. Mom came through Ellis Island. Papa, without papers, came through Canada. Mom became a citizen. Pop gained amnesty in the 1940s but was always wary of deportation. They learned to read and speak English and reminded us how lucky we were to be Americans. Pop never took welfare. He said we didn’t earn it. Instead, he worked longer hours, paid taxes, and taught us the value of freedom.

My brother Joseph was drafted into the Army, stationed in Cu Chi with the 27th Infantry Wolfhounds, served honorably, and was awarded the Purple Heart. He was recently recognized by the state of New Jersey for his lifetime of service to veterans and his community.

It is time that we remember the reasons for the sacrifices of our veterans. They fought for our way of life. They fought for our democracy. Flags may burn and athletes kneel at the National Anthem, and I ache at the sight, but the right to protest—in any manner—is the core of our freedom. Other countries would imprison such actions.

Now we are at a crossroads and democracy is in peril. Lies and corruption are rampant. The threat of autocracy is real. Democracy is our right, but we must fight for it. We owe it to our veterans. We owe it to our country to fact check and listen to more than one source. We owe it to those whose sacrifices demand it. Complacency is dangerous.

Laws benefiting homeless veterans, including improvements in their health care, have been passed by the House, but not enacted by the present administration. Nothing of value has been passed. Several bills have been tabled and ignored. Funds designated for housing improvements for active-duty service members have been redirected. Follow the money and you will understand the truth.

Veterans: You are tasked once more to fight for your country. Fight back with informed votes. Use fact-checking sites such as Politifact.com or Factcheck.org View all news channels, not just one. Listen to podcasts and NPR. Read newspapers. Seek different points of view. We should never ignore an inconvenient truth.

Mary Ann Campbell
San Antonio, Texas

All You Need is Love

Donald J. Craig, Jr.VVA looks for solutions to the problems of veterans. The problem of veteran suicide is now at an all-time high. While trying to deal with this on a national level, we must not forget that some solutions exist locally. Service and companion animals—especially dogs—can be a great factor in helping returning and older veterans.

Purdue University and many other research colleges have helped quantify the difference that can be made with service and companion dogs, and there are many organizations working throughout the U.S. to provide these companions to veterans. Now is the time to make a difference.

We have lost too many veterans to apathy and ignorance. Please be alert to ways your chapter can support veterans with serious problems. The dogs bring love into the daily life of their companions. There remains faith, hope, and love, and the greatest of these is love.

Donald I. Craig, Jr.
Indianapolis, Indiana

printemailshare

- Departments
-
University of Florida Smathers Libraries
- - -
- -
Also:
Chapter 1105Quilts of Honor: Sussex County, Delaware Chapter 1105   Chapter 946POW/MIA Chair of Honor: Central Georgia Chapter 946
- -
VVA logoThe VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring. MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us