Vietnam Veterans of America  

The VVA Veteran® Online  
  homepipeAboutpipeArchivepipeSubscribepipeContactpipevva.orgVVA gifFacebookContact    

-
January/February 2021 -   -  

Locator

Send your Locator and Reunion notices to Locator, The VVA Veteran, 8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring, MD 20910. Or email veteranlocator@vva.org or mkeating@vva.org

The Locator and Reunion services are provided without charge.

Searching for Bill Calhoun, who served in Vietnam. I have a helmet with his name written on the front. My family is from Northamptonshire, U.K. The helmet was given to us, probably to my older brothers, in the ’70s. Calhoun knew my mother, Rita Earl. I wonder if Mr. Calhoun or his family would like to have this helmet returned. Contact: Daniel Earl, danielearl@gmail.com

Looking for Leroy (Lee) Whitehead, with whom I served at Keesler AFB and Norton AFB from 1973-77, in the 63rd AMS Squad in Norton. I think he was originally from Georgia but may have lived in California. Contact: Peter Donald Castello, 19 Houston St., Wakefield, MA 01880; 617-823-9468; pcastell@by.edu

I am an Italian journalist hoping to find soldiers who were drafted or chosen from draft lotteries for the Vietnam War. No commercial intent, I promise. I have been researching this war since I was 15, a very long time ago. I would love to talk to anyone in these draft categories. Contact: Bianca Cerri, biancacerri45@gmail.com

Searching for my father, John E. Currin, who was in 3/26, India Co., from 1968-69. He was from Portland, Ore. He did not want to talk about being in-country, but I recently began researching and found he was in Operation Meade River. He received three Purple Hearts. He was passionate about helping other veterans and loved all his brother Marines. I read the Robert T. Jordan article in The Veteran about Operation Meade River, and I am hoping to find someone who knew my father. Contact: Nick Currin, ncurrin@lhs.org

Looking for information about Gerald M. Salter, who served with my brother, Lonnie Michael Holmes, in Vietnam in 1967. Salter was with my brother when he was killed by a mortar round on June 15, 1967. He was living in San Francisco when he wrote to my brother’s wife. I would like to talk to someone who knew my brother. Contact: Ross Rose, 574-360-4345; rossarose30@yahoo.com

Searching for a veteran from Albuquerque, N.M., who was in Nha Trang or Danang. I think he was a diver. His name was Jim, but I can’t recall his last name. He invited me to visit him and his parents for Thanksgiving and gave me a chain with a Navajo cross. I still have it and understand how blessed I am to have received it. I think his father was either in the Army or worked for the CIA. I am French and met Jim in Vietnam in 1990. Contact: Arnaud Durand, arnaud6462@yahoo.fr

Looking for two soldiers who served with me in Pleiku in the 4th Inf. Div., 1969. I gave them the nickname “Finance” but can’t recall their last names. I am from Alexandria, Va. Contact: Jimmy Osborne, 318-664-8163; carrandosborne@bellsouth.net

Searching for Vietnam veterans from Canada. I am working on a book similar to Fred Gaffen’s Unknown Warriors, published in 1990. Contact: Daniel Cunningham, danielc267@aol.com

Looking for anyone who knew my father, Paul Howard Puckett, who was in the Army in Vietnam, 1967-68. He was in the Signal Corps and had a top secret clearance. Contact: Paula Brehm, paulalbrehm@netscape.net

Searching for veterans who are or were licensed amateur (ham) radio operators. I am an operator, KC5DBD, and am interested in helping others become amateur radio operators. Contact: Michael Ewing, #1294324, Estelle Unit HS-D-202, 264 FM 3478, Huntsville, TX 77340.

Looking for Rick Lockheart, a Lance Corporal in Headquarters Company, 9th Marines, Okinawa. He had a friend named Capt. Luis A. Juarez. Contact: Chris Lowry, mpinfidel@gmail.com

Searching for Bryan Blake and Phil Ross, Chemical Section, HHC, 4th Inf. Div., 1969, and Floyd Richardson, doorgunner based at Camp Enari, 4th Inf. Div., 1969. Floyd was my high school student in 1966-67, and we encountered each other in Vietnam. Contact: Trygve Anderson, 814 Colby Ave., Everette, WA 98201; travel.trygve@hushmail.com

Recognizing Medics and Corpsmen

I need help to recognize and honor the heroism and sacrifice of military medics and corpsmen. The Maine Military Museum in South Portland is providing an opportunity to mount an exhibit called “My Brother’s Keeper.” The museum is privately owned and fully tax-deductible, funded completely by donations. The exhibit will be built around a life-sized diorama and will recognize the sacrifices made by “docs” under fire and caring for the wounded.

The diorama will include four life-sized mannequins depicting an injured medic tending to three severely injured comrades. The exhibit will also make extensive use of donated photos, posters, memorabilia, uniforms, letters, diaries, and medals. Because medics and corpsmen pioneered the development and early growth of the Physicians Assistant profession, “My Brother’s Keeper” also will document how the roles, experiences, and responsibilities given to each of us became the bedrock of the PA profession.

To make this exhibit a reality we need help in the following areas: donations of uniforms, memorabilia, medals, gear, souvenirs, and letters. The Maine Military Museum also needs funds to develop this exhibit, as well as mannequins, moulage material, artwork, and media equipment. For more information and to donate go to https://mainemilitarymuseum.org

The Physicians Assistants History Society (PAHx) will help record stories about medics’ formative years, military experience, and career as a PA. Oral histories will be a major part of the museum’s audiovisual exhibit. With your permission, your interview and photos, diaries, and letters pertaining to your PA career will be featured on the PA History Society website www.pahx.org

For more information on contributing oral histories, contact Reg Carter, PAHx historian emeritus, at reginald.carter@duke.edu  Carter also needs volunteer oral historians to help record interviews. To help shape and build this unique exhibit, contact: Bill Stanhope, 404-242-9692; wm.stanhope@gmail.com 

printemailshare

-
January/February 2021November/December 2020September/October 2020
July/August 2020May/June 2020March/April 2020
January/February 2020
November/December 2019September/October 2019
July/August 2019May/June 2019March/April 2019
January/February 2019
November/December 2018September/October 2018
July/August 2018May/June 2018March/April 2018
---
-Archives
2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016
| 2014 | 2013 | 2012
| 2010 | 2009 | 2008
| 2006 | 2005 | 2004
| 2002 | 2001 | 2000

----Find us on Facebook-Online Only:Arts of War on the Web
Book in Brief-
-

Ron Aldridge

Basic Training Photo Gallery
Basic Training Photo Gallery
2013 & 2014 APEX® Award Winner

Departments     University of Florida Smathers Libraries  
  - -      

VVA logoThe VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring, MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us

Geoffrey Clifford Mark F. Erickson Chuck Forsman