The VVA Veteran® Online
HomeAboutArchiveSubscribeContactvva.orgFacebookContact

Membership Notes, May/June 2016

Jerry Fisher: A Veteran’s Veteran

photo: Kevin Farkas

BY KATHLEEN MILLER

On a cold, snowy day, Jerry Fisher drove a van full of veterans to the Pittsburgh VA Medical Center from Beaver County, Pennsylvania. At least once a week and without pay, he takes veterans, including me, to the VA, to the Presbyterian Hospital, or to the Eye and Ear Hospital for our doctors appointments and tests.

He even called me when I was recovering in the hospital after surgery. He gives blood and platelets often, and frequently visits veterans in rehabilitation homes and hospitals. Not only does he visit veterans, but he also offers kind words and brings snacks. I am overwhelmed by his generosity.

Fisher is a Navy veteran. Although he’s in his early seventies, he has the energy of a thirty-year-old. He has recruited dozens of men and women to Beaver County, Pennsylvania, Chapter 862. These people, in turn, have volunteered for community service. The chapter donates books, food, furniture, appliances, money, and comfort to needy veterans—and has even found housing for homeless veterans.

Working closely with Chapter 862, Fisher in 2013 envisioned a memorial next to the new Veterans Memorial Bridge in Beaver County. He worked with Commissioner Dennis Nichols and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation to come up with a plan for the memorial. In addition, he raised money, spearheaded construction, and completed the memorial by organizing committees to help. He sold bricks with veterans’ names to help finance the project.

Fisher and Matt Rebrovic designed a pentagon-shaped memorial for the bridge. The logo of each branch of the military—Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and even the Merchant Marines and National Guard—is enclosed within the pentagon, along with the MIA-POW symbol.

Under the auspices of Beaver County Chapter 862, Fisher organizes bus trips twice a year so veterans can visit the national monuments in Washington, D.C. He also does the fundraising. Usually the bus is full.

He is a member of Rep. Keith Rothfus’s Military and Veterans Advisory Board, in which he addresses veterans issues and helps solve their problems. At Christmastime, in the cold, Fisher stands in a vigil with other members of Chapter 862 (and veterans of other eras) at the Beaver Vietnam War Memorial to honor veterans.

He sells tickets for the local military balls and events. If someone cannot pick up a ticket or is unable to drive to the function—no problem—Fisher will deliver the ticket to the veteran and even provide transportation. He also helps organize Veterans Day parades and rallies.

He’s on the welcoming committee for the Veterans Breakfast Club, where veterans tell their stories. He makes everyone feel welcome.

Jerry Fisher is what I would call a veteran’s veteran and a decent human being.

Kathleen Miller is a member of Beaver County Chapter 862.

Departments
Also:
Robert Stone: A Folger Shakespeare Library tribute. Commendations: Three awarded the organization’s highest honor.
The VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring. MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us